Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

4hp24 clunk in reverse

Moving on to the gearbox, it's mostly absolutely fine but does thud hard into reverse from park or drive. It feels like it's just itching to move (and it moves pretty quickly in reverse or drive without any throttle!) but I have done the trans mounts. Is it possible I didn't tighten them properly or is this a common issue with these gearboxes as they get older?

Have also replaced fluid and filters less than 3K kms ago. Not a new symptom, has done this since I got it.

What other possible causes? I know there are some front suspension bushes/joints that need doing... Could it just be those that are accentuating the thud or something internal in the gearbox?

Any ideas or tests I can conduct to figure it out?

Hasn't got a crack diff mount has it?

E46's and E30's bother suffered a bit from it - the diff moved when a gear was selected, taking up the slack in the mount.

Thanks Allan, I'll check. I have swapped the diff and didn't notice any issues with the mount (and nor did my mechanic did most of the work!) but I'll take another look. Feels like the clunk is further forward so I'm thinking maybe I didn't tighten the new trans mounts enough and one's slipped but need to get it up on a hoist to be sure.

Engine mounts ? They are hydraulic and may have lost their fluid

Engine mounts ? They are hydraulic and may have lost their fluid

Should have added I've done engine mounts as well.

EDIT: Actually, I did just one as one looked fine and the other was f*cked. I picked up a replacement from Andy but neither the replacement nor the original were hydraulic as far as I could tell. Perhaps worth another look!

Edited by jeffbebe

The L/H one gives out first. Get someone to change gears in the vehicle rev-forward and check with a stethoscope.