Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

Urgent! Is my diff about to die?

hey im getting bad knocking sounds from the rear end when i take my foot off the gas, and its not smooth when i do this either, theres no sound from the gearbox, all from the back havent had a chance to look yet but is this my diff on its way out? ps anyone got a diff for sale ? thank you :bowdown:

also what year diffs fit, model diffs fit, and do i need the rear axel assembly??

Edited by nz320i

My old E30 did that, turned out to be a broken engine mount, sent shocks thru the whole driveline, mostly at traffic speeds. That would probably be worst case senario, I don't know if driveline shunt is common on E30s.

sounds to me like it could be your diff

but judging by the replys here it could also be other things ... best you get it looked at so you can be sure, if its any of these things listed in the replys you could do some damage to something or someone. better safe then sorry

good luck i hope its not your diff.

It's most likely going to be your engine or g/box mounts but could be your diff.

The g/box mounts get seriously munted and I had one that had cracked right through.

I also had a diff that made knocking sounds that occured under heavy acceleration and engine braking, that diff interestingly shat itself and siezed up.

well the best way to describe it, is if i tap the acc pedal nad jump the car (like when your learning to drive) there are knocking sounds.. will look at the diff dam i havent had time yet..got any spares diffs for sale carl? thanks

Guest Andrew

well the best way to describe it, is if i tap the acc pedal nad jump the car (like when your learning to drive) there are knocking sounds.. will look at the diff dam i havent had time yet..got any spares diffs for sale carl? thanks

diffs have some slop in them - do a dodgy car dealer saw dust trick. But the noises you describe are normal wear and tear.

Just a warning, don't make a habit of jerking the drivetrain, the rubber flexible joint (donut) on the prop will give in.

Also, when you did your manual conversion, did you put the donut in the right way round? If you put it in wrong, it will quickly destroy itself and will give you knocks and drivetrain play.

The arrow on the donut should point towards the flange mount BTW...

CSB = center support bearing. You will find it in the middle of the driveshaft, when it fails it produces a knocking noise and added vibrations. A known fail item on E30's and generally one of the most common sources of driveline noises. The other being the guibo.

Edited by Madhatter