Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Buying E90 questions (325/330/335)

For a while I've been trying to decide between an E90/92 or going for an E46 M3.

After being in some friend's E90s the technology and comfort has won me over. The seats with the adjustable side bolsters are amazing! E46 seats can't hold me in place, I'm not fat enough for them.

Depending on cost/mileage/warranty, I'll get a 325i, 330i or 335i. Leaning towards 330i the most at the moment because 325i isn't really a performance improvement and the turbos on the 335i scare me a little (reliability/cost wise).

My questions.

* I don't know if I want auto or manual this time. My E46 is a manual.

I need to know - is the E90 manual shifter a significant improvement over the E46? The stock E46 shifter doesn't really let you shift quickly due to long throw and the feel it gives).

How responsive and reliable is the E90 auto?

* Warranty. Do you need to buy from a BMW dealer to get a decent warranty? How do you reduce risk if buying privately or a non-BMW dealer? This time I want a warranty because unexpected expenses are just not cool!

Also how comprehensive are the warranties?

* If I buy a standard one. About how much does the following cost:

- Fitting M Sport bodykit

- Converting to M Sport Suspension

Looking roughly in the 20k-30k range at the moment, final budget is undecided.

Not after any specific deals yet, will be buying later this year i think. Not ready just yet, got some other aspects of my life to sort first.

General experience/comments welcome :)

Haha I still have some love for the E46. But it's going to be more expensive than my current car to maintain because they're old, and it's still a high end sports car with pricey parts. I also love the E90 interior now, it's so much more comfy in the seats and the overall quality is better.

I want something newer that I can get with a warranty, so when something breaks like the waterpump or starter motor I don't have to pay for it all.

My co worker has an E90 330i he bought 5 years ago at 60 000km and it's now at 120 000km. Nothing has broken. He's just done oil changes, brakes and tyres.

Meanwhile my E46 328i has a spreadsheet to track what I've done in 18 months and 12 000km to bring it back up to good condition and fix the random issues that have come up.

I love my car and all but I want a real upgrade when I spend $20-30k, not just a faster version of the same thing.

I sold E90's brand new and was a service advisor for BMW, so I have a fair bit of experience with these....

325i's are slow and use just as much fuel as a 330i, 330i's are great in my opinion - 335i is even better but can cost more to run/maintain/buy.

You won't find a manual E90 330i easily so I'd say you're gonna have to settle for an auto.

Buy an M Sport to begin with, it won't be worth the cost to fit M sport kit and suspension - plus you wont have the sport seats.

All of this would set you back at least 5-6k.

Definitely get a warranty, the E90 is pretty reliable, however some of the 6 cylinder engines have had issues with hydraulic lifters and running camshafts - no rhyme or reason either as alot of the ones that had trouble were NZ New cars with full service history...

The auto's again are pretty reliable, but can develop oil leaks from the plastic oil pan which warps over time due to heat - this should be covered by a good mechanical insurance policy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

335s are pushing the budget unless I go for one near the 100 000km mark. Feel like those are the ones being flogged off before all the expensive maintenance and repairs are needed, if I get a car that needs a lot of work I need to have room in the budget.

Yea when I was having a ride in the 325i he was thrashing it and it felt like it had the same performance as my old 328i. Which isn't bad at all, but seeing as a 330i isn't really an more expensive I may as well go for that at the very least.

Choice of M Sport 330i on Trademe is very limited atm. Some good 335 and 325s on there.

My two favourites at the moment are this 335i coupe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=801701399

Too expensive for the mileage though in my opinion.

Then this 335i sedan:

Which actually, seems pretty sweet. Wonder about warranty though. Sadly it will be sold by the time I can buy it but that represents what I want pretty much perfectly.

Baffles me as to why there are heaps of non-M Sport 335i's out there though. Why buy such a car when you don't want a sports car...

Stopped by at Team McMillan but there were only a handful of people there.

Got to see this one in person:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=760801353

The sales guy told me about a black MSport one that they're negotiating to get, showed me pics, looked pretty good.

Sounds like they only do a 1 or two year warranty on their used cars though, can't remember what they said exactly but I'm not too confident buying a 30k car without a decently long warranty.

Felt like the manager just wanted to brush me off though, I dunno, just didn't feel too welcome three. Guess a 30k sale isn't worth much to them. Took down my number and said they'd contact me if they got anything.

Think I'll look elsewhere, some other dealers seem to do longer warranties but I'm not sure about the quality of service I'd get. You know, "Wastegate rattle? Nah sounds fine to me" kind of service.

Also manager said they don't do them in manual, the only manuals are imports. That's kinda lame.

Stopped by at Team McMillan but there were only a handful of people there.

Got to see this one in person:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=760801353

The sales guy told me about a black MSport one that they're negotiating to get, showed me pics, looked pretty good.

Sounds like they only do a 1 or two year warranty on their used cars though, can't remember what they said exactly but I'm not too confident buying a 30k car without a decently long warranty.

Felt like the manager just wanted to brush me off though, I dunno, just didn't feel too welcome three. Guess a 30k sale isn't worth much to them. Took down my number and said they'd contact me if they got anything.

Think I'll look elsewhere, some other dealers seem to do longer warranties but I'm not sure about the quality of service I'd get. You know, "Wastegate rattle? Nah sounds fine to me" kind of service.

Also manager said they don't do them in manual, the only manuals are imports. That's kinda lame.

They've had that one for ages. More likely than a $30k sale not meaning much to them (they don't have many cars much more than that from memory?) they have profiled you as not being a serious buyer... Their loss :)

Tim, can't see that link. Just leads to their homepage.

Ok from some more research I have found

* E92 coupes come standard with sports suspension although this may vary depending on the year.

* Sports package is not the same as M Sport package, at least for E92s. They can have sports seats and steering wheel without the M Sport aerodynamics (body) kit.

* Spoiler is a separate addon. The Lip in the ones I've linked above, might just be aftermarket thing?

If I get a good deal on a coupe with sports kit but no bodykit, how much to get one and have it fitted? Even if it's not genuine, as long as it's good.

So I think this is my ideal car:

E92 coupe

335i (or 330)

Black (or grey)

Red leather

M Sport including bodykit

This one I linked earlier seems to be ideal:

Would change the wheels and I think it's overpriced though. A lot of 335i coupes are much cheaper but just don't have the right colours...

My 'ideal car' might change as time passes. Could still be swayed for a sedan but the looks of the coupe are more attractive to me at then moment. Just love those curves.

Anyway I better not get carried away, can't buy one just yet and I still have my old 328i :)

Edited by Matth5

Nah not my taste.

Now I'm thinking maybe the M Sport tax is too high. Think I'll go for a nice sport package (not M Sport) E92 and then get some body kit bits later like a splitter and side skirts. Only the rear M Sport bumper hasn't got a cheap decent looking alternative

Some good non M Sport ones priced between 20k-25k.

As for leather colour, guess I can use dye like leatherique if I get the motivation or swap interiors with someone if I'm lucky.

Got some good ones on my Trademe watch list. most will probably be gone by the time I can afford this but hey, at least I can take my time instead of settling.

Edited by Matth5