Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

tappets

once again ... im not a mechanic

but this is soughta for next year project

( im thinking a full engine rebuild by the way things are popping up at the moment )

but can you get tappets replaced ... e.g. the hardnings on them ? cause if its the tappets then thats all the problem is right .... ( the ticking noise ofcourse )

of course you got a few other things ... but yeah ? tappet hardnings ?

oh yeh YAY fuel pump arrive and every thing is fine again

Edited by 325_driver

Tappet noise could also be a worn cam. The noise may also be injectors not tappets.

I haven't done it in a bimmer, but i replaced the tappets/lifters in my VK and they were $11ea from the dealer, but then you have to remove the head, have it polished, replace gaskets etc, and so on - cost only a few hundred in the end, but was way more than the 100-200 I had budgeted as an inexperienced 17yo at the time.

But if they are replaceable on the bimmer in a similar fashion, might be better to do that . But the again could be cam or injectors as said. I wouldn't bother doing it as a special job.

they dont have tappets, they have eccentrics.

If you set it and it still ticks you probably have worn eccentrics or you need to work on your technique a little.

Tims right, they all tick. If they aren't ticking you probably have them set too tight, which isn't good. When I do mine its alot quieter and smoother but still ticks.

they dont all tick at all, not when everything is fine. They should be fairly quiet, if anything injectors make more noise. Eccentrics are known to wear, thats the point of having them, if it continues ticking its usually down to worn eccentrics.

Edited by Madhatter

Guest Andrew

they dont all tick at all, not when everything is fine. They should be fairly quiet, if anything injectors make more noise. Eccentrics are known to wear, thats the point of having them, if it continues ticking its usually down to worn eccentrics.

on my new motor - you can hear no tappets - injectors are bloody loud though.

I think what people are trying to get across - with the worn eccentrics (which nearly all m20s will have by now) you will always hear tappets even with the correct adjustment.