Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

Z3 1998 - Coolant leak, identify part.

Came home to my mates place to find his car parked in a puddle of coolant, that's never a good sign! Apparently just as he parked it exploded in a cloud of steam and coolant. It took a while to identify where the coolant had come from, it appears that a plastic elbow has broken off a cylindrical container mounted next to the front left shock. This is the only broken part I can see and its location matches the spray of coolant across the engine bay. Only problem Is I can't see how it's related to the coolant flow & after topping off the coolant it's not currently dripping anything from the broken hose. The hose connected to the elbow runs back towards the rear of the vehicle.

Does anyone know what this hose/container are for and what the part numbers are? couldn't find anything on RealOEM.

I was a bit worried at first, thought the head might have cracked as we couldn't find the leak location. Hopefully this is it & not a coincidentally broken part.

post-51670-0-62387700-1423353184.jpeg

post-51670-0-48235900-1423353190.jpeg

Edited by Auzeras

Hey! I'm pretty sure that's a fuel breather pipe onto the carbon canister (this is full of charcoal and absorbs fuel vapours which stops them entering the atmosphere). So you're yet to find your coolant leak. Not sure what engine you're working with but I'd be looking in radiator/expansion tank/thermostat housing areas for a split/leak and possible failure of the water pump which could have caused your overheating/explosion. Very common BMW things

Hey! I'm pretty sure that's a fuel breather pipe onto the carbon canister (this is full of charcoal and absorbs fuel vapours which stops them entering the atmosphere). So you're yet to find your coolant leak. Not sure what engine you're working with but I'd be looking in radiator/expansion tank/thermostat housing areas for a split/leak and possible failure of the water pump which could have caused your overheating/explosion. Very common BMW things

Well that explains the shake at idle, I thought there might be a vacuum leak. M44 is the engine (1.9L '98's use the M44?) I know on the E32 there's no probem plugging the vacuum leak and deleting the charcoal cannister, is this the same with the M44/E36 Z3 or is it best to repair/leave the system in place?

I'll look further for the coolant leak. Such a tight engine bay I'm going to try get it onto some flat and lift it up to check the lower hoses. Problem is he lives on a hill, damn Wellington! We topped off the coolant and ran the engine a bit, so far no extra leaking. Possible it only leaks when under pressure once hot?

Yep - sounds like expansion tank / radiator.... or any one of the old plastic cooling system parts :lol:

Good time to buy a massive box of cooling system parts and tip them into the engine bay.

Yep - sounds like expansion tank / radiator.... or any one of the old plastic cooling system parts :lol:

Good time to buy a massive box of cooling system parts and tip them into the engine bay.

Could be worse, could be an M62!

I'll not be working on it. He's decided to take it down to a local euro shop in Newtown as he can't be bothered with the hassle of fixing it himself & I'm busy at work. Fair enough as by the time you go through with getting parts in, finding the broken bit and putting it all back together you might as well have gone to a shop any way. He's flat out at his own work & has the bike & the BB to drive, not like he's out of cars!

Tipping a box of parts into the engine bay seems to be a good way to fix most ~90's BMW's!

Cheers for the input everyone!