Sign in to follow this  
E30320i

Wheel Corrosian/Rust Removal

Hi there, having an issue in regards to my left front wheel as my brake calipers are worn at it is causing corrosion on my wheel, creating a nice layer of Rust and other oxidization.

I believe my wheels are aluminium so they aren't rusting themselves but its just corroding.

I've seen multiple forums saying ways to do it but nothing really worked, some people used Tinfoil and coke to remove rust? but im not game enough to Aliminium tin foil on my rim?

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be awesome

Cheers

Connor

post-16559-0-61188300-1423604531.jpg

post-16559-0-49893500-1423604535.jpg

post-16559-0-23323000-1423604543.jpg

again come and see me and I will sort it for ya. It ain't hard. just takes some elbow grease and metal polish may help :)

You forgot the badly worn disc rotor Ron....maybe the pads are metal to metal as well

Hi,

You say the left. Is it just the left? Or are both sides equally yuck? it look like brake pad dust to me. Autosol should fix that, maybe some 800 grit if its really mucky. If its only the left, I would take a look at the caliper and make sure it's working as it should, it may be that, the left side is taking the brunt of the braking force?

Some cheap brake pads, maybe not so cheap too, but some pads inherently produce more brake dust than others.

some pads make more dust than others too .

and some dust eats into the alloys more than others .

• Like 1

Wore out a new set of Bendix pads (down to metal) on the rear of the race car in 4 stints @ Hamptons last month - practice, quali, & two races, probably 40 laps total. Brand new rotors too. They made a hell of a mess on the wheels.

Normally use OEM on the rears & last about a season. Back to OEM I go.

Yeah off topic but I tried the bendix race pads on the rear with brand new rotors and they lasted one and a half meetings. That was with adj bias etc though.