Sign in to follow this  
bekker

Engine oil

Hi folks,

I'm sure this has probably been asked a hundred times.

I have an 88 525ee, not exactly a rocket ship I know but a bimmer never-the-less.

I havent owned it long, its in great condition and I am fastidious about maintenance.

I'm going to change the engine oil soon, but I was wandering if anyone had any recommendations.

The owners book lists plenty of options, all ambiant temperature dependant.

I was wandering though, giving the book was written sometime in the mid eighties, whether anyone had any more up-to-date information.

I was leaning towards synthetic (or semi) 10w30, possibly 10w40.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Synthetic 10w40 is a winner, search through the threads in maintenance/performace on this topic, you'll have to select to view pages older then 30 days though.

ps. Welcome to the site

Edited by Carl

most decent mechanics who know what they're talking about usually recommend a 20w/50 for older cars, as that is what they were made to be run on, a mineral, not synthetic oil, I have found 20w/50 castrol gtx to be great in my e28, dont go penzoil, that stuff is crap now.

Thanks guys,

Amsoil in the states advised me that 10w40 was the most suitable for my car.

Carl, I think you tried to send a message to my email, for some reason it didnt allow it.

I read somewhere that the closer together the numbers (10w30 as opposed to 5w50 for example) the better the oil because the manufacturers dont need to put so many friction modifiers and additives in the oil. Kind of makes sense to me, especially since NZ (or Wellington at least) does not have huge temperature extremes.

Again thanks for all the help. I'm absolutely loving my 5 and am very impressed with this site.

Cheers

ELF 10w40 rocks my face!!!! fully synthetic from memory.

$46 for 5L, from Gull

high grade oil for resonable money

i used it in my 86 325i and now in my 335i.

Edited by bumpstop325

Elf is "cool", but 10w40 is too thin IMO. a thicker oil will = less/no smoke.

The grade depends on the engine - you have to admit that Tim's engine only smoked cause it was tired