Sign in to follow this  
Ace Of Spades

E30 rx7 callipers and colorado disks conversion

Has one got these on there car?

Need a brake upgrade for the e30 and was told this is a very good option.

Also if any one has some for sale i would be very interested

Cheers

Ace

Sent from Badassmotherfukr

Casting my mind back many years now, the problem with the RX7 / corrado combo was.

Retains thin front rotors (22m thick) with only +20mm increase in diameter.

RX7 pads have only a small area of friction material in relation to the size.

Size being a problem for wheel clearance.

Piston area is smaller than the stock single piston, so screws the brake balance.

Back in the day (first time around +12yrs ago) I used 2pot Sliding Calipers from an EVO-4.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't go past one of these setups from 300mm.de

Hi Sam...

Yes...

Sent you a PM

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 1

Casting my mind back many years now, the problem with the RX7 / corrado combo was.

Piston area is smaller than the stock single piston, so screws the brake balance.

My personal observations from fitting the RX7s on the race car...

Rotor thickness is the same, but isn't really an issue as they are vented. +20mm diameter gives a big increase in surface area - as its a circle.

RX7 pads look to have bigger surface area than E30 pads - yes they are small in relation to the calipers.

Got my 15" weaves over the calipers using a 5mm spacer, many designs of 15" wheel clear the calipers without need for any spacer depending on the offset.

4 x pistons in the RX7 versus the one on the E30, much better to have equal pressure on both sides of the disc than one piston and sliding caliper. I would say the balance on my E30 is now better with the RX7 fronts than it was with the standard E30 set-up.

Over-all it is a very good bang for buck upgrade of the E30 front brakes, better bite (without being grabby), good balance, etc. I am running Hawk HP+ pads front and rear which probably contributes as well. I'm sure there are better brake set ups for the E30, but at much greater cost. Plus pads and rotors are easily obtainable for this swap, not hard to get dedicated Wilwood / Brembo / AP Racing parts.

• Like 1

Also interested if anyone has parts lying around

Back in the day (first time around +12yrs ago) I used 2pot Sliding Calipers from an EVO-4.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't go past one of these setups from 300mm.de

I can vouch for the EVO-4 set up I purchased them and fitted to my old E30 with a 25mm master cylinder.

Sold them on the car to someone in Wellington in 2007, wonder if its still around (gold, pre-facelift 325i coupe can't remember the plate #).

I have some evo calipers somewhere if you're interested I think evo 1to3 style

My personal observations from fitting the RX7s on the race car...

Rotor thickness is the same, but isn't really an issue as they are vented. +20mm diameter gives a big increase in surface area - as its a circle.

RX7 pads look to have bigger surface area than E30 pads - yes they are small in relation to the calipers.

Got my 15" weaves over the calipers using a 5mm spacer, many designs of 15" wheel clear the calipers without need for any spacer depending on the offset.

4 x pistons in the RX7 versus the one on the E30, much better to have equal pressure on both sides of the disc than one piston and sliding caliper. I would say the balance on my E30 is now better with the RX7 fronts than it was with the standard E30 set-up.

Over-all it is a very good bang for buck upgrade of the E30 front brakes, better bite (without being grabby), good balance, etc. I am running Hawk HP+ pads front and rear which probably contributes as well. I'm sure there are better brake set ups for the E30, but at much greater cost. Plus pads and rotors are easily obtainable for this swap, not hard to get dedicated Wilwood / Brembo / AP Racing parts.

Jon,

Do you reckon they could hold up to 350hp? mainly street driven but will have some tract/thrash sessions

Plus the added weight of an m30?

Cheers

With some good pads they should be sweet.

Glad you're even upgrading the brakes instead of most who just run more power and ignore braking

Edited by handgrenade

I would say they would hold up pretty well in that situation. Provided you run quality pads (front and rear - need to make sure rears are doing their bit) a good quality fluid and braided flex lines.

There are a number of 6-cylinder cars running RX7s in the series, without any issues.

I would say they would hold up pretty well in that situation. Provided you run quality pads (front and rear - need to make sure rears are doing their bit) a good quality fluid and braided flex lines.

There are a number of 6-cylinder cars running RX7s in the series, without any issues.

Jon,

Do you reckon they could hold up to 350hp? mainly street driven but will have some tract/thrash sessions

Plus the added weight of an m30?

Cheers

With ^that^ in mind, and having been down that road, I'd definitely be looking at something bigger.

I agree - the speed that goes with 350hp and a bit of weight takes some stopping.

You can get Skyline GTS-T brakes on (both ends) with only a medium amount of stuffing around. I used to have it written down but don't now, but wanna say s2000 front discs and one of the E46 rears (whatever is the right diameter) ... hang on - I searched for myself and this is what I wrote last time:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/37180-rx7-calipers-and-vw-rotors-on-an-e30/#entry423715

The car that was on stopped really well.

Edited by CamB