Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

M54B30 losing oil and water

Hey all,

For the last wee while (6 months at least) my 530i has been very slowly losing water, and more quickly losing oil. I've never seen an oil spot underneath the car, and had coolant system pressure tested and radiator replaced 2 years ago by Eurorec in CHCH. What can I look out for in oil cap/water reservoir that might give me more clues?

Hey all,

What can I look out for in oil cap/water reservoir that might give me more clues?

If you have to start looking in those areas.....it's too late. Get someone to check it properly before it gets to that stage.

• Like 1

How much are we talking. Some M54's are known to use abit of oil, though not usually anything startling. The Oil separator in the breather system is known to crap out, and feed a bit of oil into the intake.

Water wise, it shouldn't lose anything really noticable. There is probably a trace of dried up coolant somewhere (or maybe even wet coolant!).

You pretty much need to replace the parts showing on this picture.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-530i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Cooling/ES1596865/

I've fixed 3 oil leaks on my 530i, but theres still more... valve cover gasket, oil separator system and hoses, oil filter housing gasket were all leaking.