Sign in to follow this  
Red Dwarf

Rounded off screw extraction?

I know that this is waaay of topic for BMW forum but I'm hoping that someone might have and idea (that I haven't tried yet)...

I've got a pair of very early (low serial number) Oakley Juliets that I want to restore to original... Unfortunately a couple of years ago while overseas I took them into a Oakley re-seller to have the arms tightened and their pet gorilla ended up rounding off one of the screws to a point of it resembling a rivet!

I've been looking for an easy-out smaller than size 1 with no luck... Tried diamond paste without success... tried most of the Yoo-Toob methods this side of solder! (rubber bands/angled slot drives etc etc) and nothing seems to shift it...

Anyone got any other ideas I can throw at this as I'd really like to put them back into service...

Cheers

Mike

Maybe try a jeweller? If it was normal sized you'd drill it out right? I believe jewellers have small drills etc.

Yeah... I'm off to a watchmaker on Tuesday but I thought I'd give it one more go over the weekend...

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Cheers

I know that this is waaay of topic for BMW forum but I'm hoping that someone might have and idea (that I haven't tried yet)...

I've got a pair of very early (low serial number) Oakley Juliets that I want to restore to original... Unfortunately a couple of years ago while overseas I took them into a Oakley re-seller to have the arms tightened and their pet gorilla ended up rounding off one of the screws to a point of it resembling a rivet!

I've been looking for an easy-out smaller than size 1 with no luck... Tried diamond paste without success... tried most of the Yoo-Toob methods this side of solder! (rubber bands/angled slot drives etc etc) and nothing seems to shift it...

Anyone got any other ideas I can throw at this as I'd really like to put them back into service...

Cheers

Mike

i was going to say a drop of solder but failing that 5 min araldite or locktite on the end of say a (welding rod) should hold,there can't be that much resistance in a screw that small

Cheers...

Might give it a try... Forgot about Araldite, although this thing's more stuck than Dumbo in an dustbin!

Tried just a little heat? Or is it too close to the lens?

Maybe hold the tip of a soldering iron on the screw to heat just that point.

Cheers Dan...

The lenses are toast anyway so I gave that a crack before posting... the pet gorilla a pretty good job on it!

Easy, try a TIG welder, grind tungsten to a fine fine point, at a 22 degree angle at 1amp or less touch screw with this and do a dud start . Tungsten will be welded on, then twist out.

This method is guaranteed to work every time, 60% of the time. :huh:

• Like 1