Sign in to follow this  
M325is

Dials

Has anyone been keen enuf to pull out there fuel and temperature guages?

I have this problem when my car has sat in the sun and cooked up inside- my temperature guage gets stuck to the far right past the maximum hot red line.

And my fuel guage is semi-permanently stuck on empty though its not the fuel lines or sensors as i had the mechanic replace them, and occationally my rev limetre will get stuck just below 3g.

Anyone had any of these probs and fixed it themselves? Im not keen to pay an autoelectrician but at the same time im scepticle to have a play myself as my last bmw was tampered with behind the dash and my speedo got f**ked and wouldnt read correctly. :wacko:

umm if its a basic dash (probably not?? being m325is) but ive had mine out to put overlays on, and had to take the rev needle out cmpletely, thought id stuffed it but when i put it back in, it re-positioned itself!!

you should be sweet, TAKE YOUR TIME!! it took mt 4 hours for my overlays.

you could just replace it...

Gauge problems in prefacelift cars are usually caused by worn out or corroded Ni-Cads on the SI board. Replacing them is not too hard. If you need new gauges, I have half a dozen sets......

Gauge problems in prefacelift cars are usually caused by worn out or corroded Ni-Cads on the SI board. Replacing them is not too hard. If you need new gauges, I have half a dozen sets......

If i pull the dash out will i beable to identify the problem without wrecking anything? I defnitly know i need a new fuel guage (mechanic clarified me) do you have one for a 87 m325i? UK. :)

Just wack it. A few wacks fixes:

-Temp guage

-Fuel gauge

-dash lights

If i pull the dash out will i beable to identify the problem without wrecking anything? I defnitly know i need a new fuel guage (mechanic clarified me) do you have one for a 87 m325i? UK. :)

If the service indicator lights are working properly there probably won't be anything to see as such. If the Ni-Cads have gone bad there may be visable damage to the circuit board etc. If there is no obvious damage its probably best just to plug a new guage in and see if that fixes it. All the fuel guages are the same internally reguardless of which car they are fitted to but there are different faces. Some just have 1/2 & 1/1 etc on them while others have litre numerals on them (55, 50, 40.....) some say unleaded fuel only etc , which do you have???

mine says 1/2 1, my service lights still work good. Do you have a temp gauge too? I think mine is heat damaged, cos it only happend after my car sat in the hot sun for a day and cooked up.

Banging does nothing for the temp guage, banging used to work for the fuel guage but not anymore, rev limiter is only occational sticky.

I just really want my temp gauge to be good for when i go away this summer.

So where abouts you located gmccormack?

Yea ive got a similar prob going on with my Fuel Gauge, Temp Gauge, and now my trip meter aint working. Its just stuck at 67.9 km. So im assuming my Odo aint working either. Although this is kinda good not doing any k's i should really check it out eh?

So yea if anyone could help explaining how to fix mine and M325is that would be much appreciated.

(I have a pre Fl E30 318i)

and now my trip meter aint working. Its just stuck at 67.9 km. So im assuming my Odo aint working either.

For some reason the plastic gears in some speedos go soft and strip. The only way to fix it is to replace the speedo unit as I am unaware of any source for the gears.

The speedo is driven from the diff and is most unlikely that the plug has fallen out, but check it anyway... you never know.