Sign in to follow this  
chiz

Wanted M10 gearbox casing including bellhousing section.

Just need an empty casing or full gearbox which is stuffed which has the right bellhousing for fitting to an M10 motor.

Paul Chisholm ,chisholm@callplus.net.nz, 0274501711

Are you going to do a gearbox swap on the 2002?. If you grab an automatic from an early E30 318 (with M10) you can unbolt the bell housing from that and it becomes a good start for gearbox swap.

If you can't find an auto, try offering someone with a 4spd on trademe $50 for one. I sold 2x for $100 about 5 years ago I think. They're worthless.

Very interested to know what you are planning to put on there. I am not hopeful for the lifespan of the E30 318i Getrag 240 in mine once (if?) I ever start driving it with the turbo.

Craig (the poster above me) did a good job getting a Ford box in his, but I am not sure they're strong enough for my aspirations either.

Im pretty sure i still have an e21 4 speed lying around in storage somewhere if you are still looking.

• Like 1

Hey Cam, how about a Tremac / Borg- Warner T5 ?. Lots of donor cars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg-Warner_T-5_transmission) and lots of close ratio gear sets available.

You can go to about 190 Hp with the Type 9 I used, or 250 Hp with the heavy duty Quaffe kit.

BTW - I finally got a close ratio Quaffe kit into mine, it's awesome.

Yeah - it looks like once you start cutting the tunnel that a T5 is a pretty cost effective option as you can get all manner of decent gear kits out of the US.

I'd like to see +/-300hp (seems achievable for 2000cc turbo), so not sure how long a (reasonably expensive) HD-equipped Type 9 will last.

So, as I can't find a G260 in M10/M30 fit (which is easily strong enough), I've resolved to see how I go with the G240. I am hopeful that turbo torque spread will make it less critical to have close ratio.

Where are the close ratio kits for a T5 ? I can only find the Quaife kit.

m30 has same bolt pattern as m10