Sign in to follow this  
Guest MP0wer

E34 540i msports?

Guest MP0wer

Who has experience with these cars? How are they coming from a 3 series. I know the steering may be quite different coming from rack and pinion, but how do they handle? I can always chuck in a super charger to push the motor, but handling & reliability if one of my main concerns. Getting a bit bored, my weapon of choice is my e36 M52B28 SC, suspension, lsd, xbrace, Thinking to invest/grab something a bit different, with a bigger engine, more raw power, older looking chassis, a sedan with good handling. I've always had a thing for the E34 / 540i with the M60b40 motor.

I know the basics, the Black window trim means msports or msports suspension. Cant seem to find a Msports one or one with a 6 speed. Found one I have been eyeing on trademe.

Anybody know this car or checked it out?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=889457005&open_homes=&region=&district=

Edited by MP0wer

a "motorsport" 540 will almost certainly have sport seats as well.They are worth it.A 540 is a heavy car,and a well optioned one will be pushing about 1700 kilos .On a real windy road you will always be aware of that weight.They have good grip and good balance .Much more solid feeling car than a e36

a 540 manual(six speed) will almost certainly be a full motorsport version ,they are quite rare though

Edited by kiwi535

Guest MP0wer

What are the 540i's and 540i/6 worth?I want to achieve an equally fun feel around the track/corners/street with an e34 as I do with a e36?

Looking at the trademe link Is it an known ex members car? I was dealing with the guy, told me it has lsd, and better suspension, a chip and few mods. might end up taking it in a couple of weeks/next month.

a "motorsport" 540 will almost certainly have sport seats as well.They are worth it.A 540 is a heavy car,and a well optioned one will be pushing about 1700 kilos .

That is fairly good for such a sized car. Not to shabby all things considered. You do need the V8 torque to get it moving off the line though.

• Like 1

That is fairly good for such a sized car. Not to shabby all things considered. You do need the V8 torque to get it moving off the line though.

the 540s are very highly geared no rocket ship of the line.I am not saying a e34 wont be fun but they are not a 3 series . dont discount a nice 535 .1700 kilo plus you

I dunno, a good 540i E39 is pretty quick off the line, despite the gearing good for 0-100kph in a little over 6 seconds which is shifting pretty well!

As quick as your average 330i E46.

My Soarer is a heavy hector by comparison, with me and some fuel inside I'm sitting at 1850kg, but the active suspension while adding to the weight makes up for the short falls in the bends at least :)

e34 M5 is a fairly well regarded car, there must be something to them. A 540i/6 won't be far off performance wise, probably evenly matched. Apart from the engine all the rest is practically identical bar some minor brake tweaks. Probably nothing in the prestige stakes between an M5 and M540i/6 either.

Good luck finding an M540i/6 though. The regular 540 isn't far off, just needs the 6 speed and sway bar / brake upgrades to M540i spec. Any of these e34's will benefit from shock/spring refresh to get a better result than what was offered in the mid 90's

Shadowline trim doesn't mean anything other than shadowline trim as far as I'm aware. It was just an option available to punters.

e34 is a big heavy solid car. I'm not sure it would ever track like a smaller lighter vehicle. At 22 years old though mine is enough for me, they really are a nice car to drive whether dawdling along or thrashing through country roads.

• Like 2

From my reading, it's the Canadian M540i/6's that got the best treatment. Full Nurburgring M5 everything with an M60b40. Only 30 made of the last gen.

Be interesting to know if NZ got any new ones back in the day. There can't be many. I recall reading Aussie had 70 e34 M540i variants.

Probably the only let-down of these cars today is the active suspension. Stupidly expensive to repair. Someone on the Facebook page was asking about options for his 3.8 M5 a week or so ago. There must be $5K-$6K minimum in sorting all 4 corners today. Ouch!

Guest MP0wer

Only found a few on trademe worth while,

I think nobody saw the link I posted. I am dealing with this guy, anybody know this car? Said to have LSD, some suspension work was done as well as other stuff. I might end up getting this. give me some more thoughts on the e34, currently a supercharged 328i m is getting a bit old and small.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=889457005

Edited by MP0wer

This is my old car from 2011. I don't think it had LSD when i had it but things change

buy my 544iT/6

goes a bit better than a std 540i :P

as per video below :)

• Like 1

That trademe 540 is a good buy assuming general tidy condition.

It's already chipped. Assuming RP swap to maybe 3.15 seeing someone has installed lsd already. That's probably as quick as a 540 gets without sinking more than the entire cars cost again into a 6 speed swap.

I came from an E36 328i coupe. I loved driving that car on the limit, after my mods, you could find the limit right to the edge, very forgiving car. Auto and OBD2. I could use ALL of the available power, it was well sorted.

I also had a hankering for an E34, one of the most handsome of the bmws I thought and still think. Its bigger, much more practical being a sedan and it's a V8.

I had a 3.0l and swapped it out for a M60B40 and with the 5 speed manual, I am more than happy. Chipped also, cant see how any chip can go from @286 to @320, but there is an improvement, how much I have no idea on mine and I don't care but the throttle response is improved and it gargles on run off so im happy.

I have spent thousands on the suspension and its exactly where I want it to be.

Anyway I could blah blah all day, but the E36 was tight, I loved the way it turned in and how exploitable it was. My E34, not quite, but I don't go seeking those limits anyway being as high as they are on public roads.

Suspension: Slight nod to the E36 especially in steering, keep in mind both cars are modded. The E36 was well balanced and pinned down, with few mods. E34 better cruiser I did many long miles on the E36 and it was awesome, but the bigger motor makes the e34 my pick for longer hauls.

Exterior: Full nod to the E34, I take second and third look backs on every occasion, the E36..not so much

Interior: E34, much much better leather, and classy if not old. But better quality overall. Yes sports seats much better support, find them if you can.

Engines: mmm, both have their merits, you can use more of the 6, it's more efficient more of the time in regards to performance. Once you have had an 8, it's hard to go back, only an idiot would use all of it on the street, I can spin tyres all day long in mine if inclined. I like the noise, its important for me. I like the 8, but it not better than the 6, if that makes sense.

Costs: E36's are more plentiful, parts are cheaper all over.

Ownership: I feel better with an E34 up the drive. My driving style has changed I think for the better owning one. Nothing against E36 owner/drivers, as I loved my E36, but I am happier in ways I don't think I would have been with the E36. That engine note has much to do with it I think.

I don't think I would get another E36 as I live on trademe like many here, and I also had 2x E34's both manuals at the same time for a bit so there must be something in that?

Good luck, hope this helps.

• Like 4

e34 M5 is a fairly well regarded car, there must be something to them. A 540i/6 won't be far off performance wise, probably evenly matched. Apart from the engine all the rest is practically identical bar some minor brake tweaks. Probably nothing in the prestige stakes between an M5 and M540i/6 either.

Good luck finding an M540i/6 though. The regular 540 isn't far off, just needs the 6 speed and sway bar / brake upgrades to M540i spec. Any of these e34's will benefit from shock/spring refresh to get a better result than what was offered in the mid 90's

Shadowline trim doesn't mean anything other than shadowline trim as far as I'm aware. It was just an option available to punters.

e34 is a big heavy solid car. I'm not sure it would ever track like a smaller lighter vehicle. At 22 years old though mine is enough for me, they really are a nice car to drive whether dawdling along or thrashing through country roads.

A shadowline trim e34 is prolly a motorsport