Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Engine Popping sound

Hey guys

got an E38 728i here doing my head in!

Has the M52TUB28 engine, the dual vanos that seems to more closely resemble the M54 than the M52!

Anyways. Engine makes a popping sound, sounds just like a pop corn machine. usually will keep running until i turn it off, sometimes just dies on its own.

• Have throughly checked for vacuum leaks and all seems to be okay. Have replaced the oil separator system anyways, just to be sure. common problem on this engine. Intake boots are new also.
  • Have checked coils, two had been "repaired" at some point so fitted two brand new ones. haven't replaced plugs, they look to be in good shape, i guess thats the next step.
  • DME was throwing intake cam sensor code so replaced that after checking out the sensor yep definitely broken.
  • Revs do not climb and negligible engine change when i both press on the accelerator and/or have MAF unplugged

Any assistance where to go from here would be great!

Cheers

Andy

Hmmm. Able to video it as a demonstration? Perhaps record the tacho with the drivers door open so the engine is more audible.

^^^ Andy

After replacing parts did you clear fault codes and adaptions and also reinitialise the throttle position ??

Yep will do a video at some stage i did take one but the sound doesnt really come through on my iphone ill grab a digital camera from work in the next day or so.

^^^ Andy

After replacing parts did you clear fault codes and adaptions and also reinitialise the throttle position ??

fault codes off all modules yep and adaptions yes, throttle position no, although that would probably explain why just today it has come up with throttle potentimetor error or something along those lines! Didnt think of that

Cheers Glenn!