Sign in to follow this  
hunter

Help wanted in Hamilton

Hey guys, is there anyone in Hams that can help me out, with some 18" wheels and good tires for a short drive? I'm trying to locate the source of a vibration in my E46 sedan, I want to try some other wheels and tries to eliminate the list of possibilities for the vibration.

Mechanic says tires aren't round, Beaurepairs (where i went for an alignment recently) says they're sweet. I do plan to take them back to the store i purchased them from to try and get replacements if they aren't round as only have approx 10k kms on them of weekend driving. But would like to try some other first, to either support the position that the tires aren't round or help pin point other areas of vibration.

Cheers

Ben

Take the car to a different tyre fitter and ask them to check the wheels for balance - an alignment won't show if the tyres are round. When they're spun up for balancing you'll be able to see if they're round or not.

And if they're out of balance, that can cause the vibration, too.

What year is your 320i? E46s (in particular) get vibration when LCA bushes need replacing.

Take the car to a different tyre fitter and ask them to check the wheels for balance - an alignment won't show if the tyres are round. When they're spun up for balancing you'll be able to see if they're round or not.

And if they're out of balance, that can cause the vibration, too.

What year is your 320i? E46s (in particular) get vibration when LCA bushes need replacing.

Hi, Car is 2001 has had LCA bushes replaced recently so confident it isnt those, the vibration is from the rear. Driveline was also checked and seems ok, some minor wear in rubber "doughnut"

Yeah Beaurepairs checked for roundness, while checking and balancing 2 weeks ago and said it was sweet, but the report from today was that they aren't. Hence i want to try (hopefully) some other wheels

It will need another alignment as the guys who did one today,as part of other work messed it up so now needs to go back to them to correct rear camber (not mechanics)

i dont think trying new tyres is going to help you locate the issue but it might so i guess its worth a shot if anyone is willing to help.

on another note, only 10k kms? thats quite a lot and enough to make tyres go bad. just my opinion.

u cud have drove over a pot hole in the past few days that buckled a wheel so having a report or someone say they were sweet 2 weeks ago isnt really going to hold much value.

i dont think trying new tyres is going to help you locate the issue but it might so i guess its worth a shot if anyone is willing to help.

on another note, only 10k kms? thats quite a lot and enough to make tyres go bad. just my opinion.

u cud have drove over a pot hole in the past few days that buckled a wheel so having a report or someone say they were sweet 2 weeks ago isnt really going to hold much value.

yeah that hasn't happened, hardly driven the car, it isn't daily driven, and haven't hit any potholes at all.

From what i was told today, all tires have either high points or are going out of round, not the wheels. So i believe trying some others would be of benefit.

Can't help with the wheels - kinda need them on my car and I head north towards Auckland every day. Out of interest - what tyres do you have fitted? All 4 having high spots sounds unlikely. Not impossible, but certainly unusual.

Alignment - I used Tyre Tracks on Kent St in Frankton.

Can't help with the wheels - kinda need them on my car and I head north towards Auckland every day. Out of interest - what tyres do you have fitted? All 4 having high spots sounds unlikely. Not impossible, but certainly unusual.

Alignment - I used Tyre Tracks on Kent St in Frankton.

No probs man, I have Nexen N-fera SU1 tires. I have had a problem with one before which was replaced as it had a patch across it that was going off. So i wouldn't be surprised if these were from the same batch they're all potentially bung.