Sign in to follow this  
DR1FTMONKEY

BMW Buyers Tip (And E90 question)

Hey Guys,

Some of you may recognise my username from another thread I started recently about E60s and E90s as I'm currently in the process of trying to find my new car.

Many of you may be aware of this, but thought I would share something I have come across through all of my research.

If you go to www.bmwvin.com, you can enter the last 7 digits of a BMW's VIN you are looking at to see exactly what was ordered when the car was new. I cannot view my E36's details, however all E90s and E60s I have tried so far have worked.

In my case, this was very helpful as there is a 330I I have been looking at but something was off. Didn't have M Sport wheels (Has other E90 BMW factory wheels), and although the steering wheel looked correct, it did not have the thumb grips or "M" emblem. Obviously the M Sports have the M tray on the door sill too, but as the car is not in Christchurch, I haven't been able to view in person. At first I thought this was probably due to it being a 2005 and perhaps the early builds had some differences. My investigation led me to that site and I can now see the car was built 6 months before the M Sport option was released, and it, obviously, doesn't have any M Sport options. In this case, it did have a Sport suspension option, sport multifunction steering wheel and few others, so at the time of build it was as close to an M Sport as possible, but end of the day somebody has changed the bumpers and skirts to make it look like an M Sport.

If you do want to use the site but do not have the VIN number, you can go to carjam.co.nz and enter the number plate which will give you the VIN, if its a fresh import often the dealer will have the VIN on the window card which they often take a photo of for Trademe - otherwise you can always ask them for the VIN.

Question: I still have some interest in the car, however can somebody please explain what difference there is between the "Sport suspension option" and the M Sports suspension - am I likely to notice a difference?

I'm a little concerned about the car as although I am mostly okay with the fact the car isn't an actual M Sport, when it comes time to sell it I don't want to mislead people, and it may put people off. If you guys have any opinions about whether you would buy the car, that'd be great.

Heres the car: www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=890444162

{I wasn't able to paste the link, so sorry if not allowed to link Trademe, I scanned the rules but just saw that's links can be removed at Mods discretion}

Edited by DR1FTMONKEY

Does it have to be a 330 or just a M sport spec found this in my e-mails it's only a 325 done 84,000k. ibcjapan.co.jp/checklist?crypt=%5E%D2%D0%E5%98%E1%D1%CC%9E%C6%71%9F%95%91%69%9C%67%99%E1%A1%AD%CA%AC%9F%CA%95%58%A6%DF%C5%AA%E3%D9%A9%68%91%DD%E2%AC%CA%AB%AB%6C%92%DE%D0%CE%9A%D7%A1%6F%69%87%B9%86%B9%BE%A7%DB%A7%C5%DE%D1%D1%A8%95%9D%D4%A6%DA%CE%97%EA%A7%C9%9F%CB%D4%E5%D5%E1%DA%A7%9A%D2%CB%DA%AD%CE%AB%D2%A7%D8%DB%EA%D5%AA%DF%C4%E5%D7%E8%9C%92%D1%E3%D5%CF%AD%B2%AF%9A%A8%87%B9%E2%E6%A2%C3%9B%DF%9F%AB%AC%75%BE%DA%E6%9E&trno=20150609_436398_1_2008_BMW_325I

Edited by tim 325

Thanks for the link. Definitely prefer a 330i M, but on a budget so if a 325i M comes up at the right price with the right options I would go that route. That one looks good, how difficult is the importing process and compliance?

That white 330 for 18k is stupidly overpriced imo.

A member just sold his 2006 genuine msport 323i with 87ks or so for $10500

I wouldn't pay $18k for it, especially since it isn't a genuine M Sport. Its hard to find 330s though, usually $20K+ for an M Sport based off what I have seen over the last few months.

There's a 530i M for $16.5K which is closer to what I am happy to spend and I like the E60s.

Their is a member lives in Christchurch to who has done a few import have a chat to him or he may chime in.

Question: I still have some interest in the car, however can somebody please explain what difference there is between the "Sport suspension option" and the M Sports suspension - am I likely to notice a difference?

What option code is showing for the suspension on the car? I think the old code was SA224 Sports Suspension and the newer code is SA704 M Sport Suspension

Pretty sure the suspension is basically the same, I have never seen a model that has both codes available to choose, but then I don't deal with E90s much.

It just says "226 sports suspension settings". I assume it's fairly similar to the M Sport set up.