Sign in to follow this  
Brad1138

Removing e36 sedan Windows

Hey guys im thinking of tinting my new e36 myself as i am on a serious budget and i have shite loads of free time. I am told the only way to do it and make it look any good if your an amature is remove the windows if you have enough free time

could anyone walk me through how i would take out the windows and the amount of time it will take me, rough estimate, im only talking about the windows that go up and down. the side ones. cheers.

wouldn't bother, did my E30 myself but next time I'll just get the pros to do it. you'll probably spend at least $80 or more on tint itself, more if you make a mistake, which you will. That said, all the side windows turned out ok but the rear is shitty. I pulled my side windows out and made it way easier, I just pulled of the door cards and started unbolting sh*t until the windows came out, dont think the E36 will be too different.

Seriously though is one of the most frustrating jobs you can do yourself, not reccomended.

get a job and pay someone else 250 to do it

its worth it

advise...you dont need to take out the whole window to do a tint job - K

if you take out the whole window you will run a high risk of scratching the tint when you put the window back in...especially since your new to this... :P

The E 36 glass comes out easy enough, take off arm rest, door cards etc, but be warned that you'll need the right kind of glass glue for the "stays" at the bottom of the door. If you don't the windows will occasionally come of the sliders and will get stuck half up or down requiring a second visit.

Get a pro to do it. it will be so much better than your bubble fest. Also the tint you buy from retail stores is very thin and easily rips, (say a ring scrapes on the window, will easily tear tint).

You can get it done for $200 if you shop around.

The E 36 glass comes out easy enough, take off arm rest, door cards etc, but be warned that you'll need the right kind of glass glue for the "stays" at the bottom of the door. If you don't the windows will occasionally come of the sliders and will get stuck half up or down requiring a second visit.

OMFG!!

are you serious...pop the window off the glued on sliders?

ahahahha..

alternately (properly)you can undo the 2x10mm bolts that go through the sliders onto the window regulator.

dont give up that day job man!!

*shakes head and walks away

I honestly don't recall those lower bolts being there on my wife’s 91 e36 , I kid you not , the bottom channel didn't have the bolts to tighten against the glass. The window was attached by some kind of glue on it’s bottom edge. (Car was an import and had signs of repair work on the doors ). PB probably lost the bits and glued the window.

Please disregard my post.

Thanks for putting me straight Homy.

Some pictures that may help with the door.

http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/26.aspx

Hold that thought Neal..i think i may have been wrong about the 10mm bolts.

man enough to admit ive made a mistake....i think...lol

Just i work with mostly Jap cars and they ALL have 10mm bolts holding in the glass to the regulator.

but after looking at that link im totally confused...ive taken out lots of BMW windows(heck i was working on a Bm's doors today..should have taken a peek at the glass setup) and i just cant think of the setup now....

ahhh i know..its x-mas and brain has gone out of work mode and is now in feast/fight/f**k mode ahahahahah

but for a fact i do know you DONT pop off the factory glued on channel...its never the same afterwards!

whatever.... its all pointless anyway....coz he shouldnt take out the glass anyway...

look we've probably just confused the crap out of the poor fishy...lol