Sign in to follow this  
340i

Where to get a replacement key in Wellington?

I've bought myself an E39 528i, which is my first bmw after owing a couple of e21's years ago. I am told they have a transponder or something and a regular replacement key won't work. Its a Japanese import (if that makes a difference?) and I just have one key, so want to get a replacement in case I lose it. I'm looking for best value, so any tips on where to go would be great. Thanks in advance!

Nick

BMW dealer afaik, allow $500

milland.co.nz - he's in dunedin, but will send it to you when it arrives from germany.

Just got a quote this morning for a genuine OEM RF IR key cut and coded to our Jap import E39, $242 + GST. Non - remote type was $140ish + GST. Far cheaper than I had anticipated and genuine parts instead of dubious quality knockoffs. Doubt they would do a group buy discount as each key is an individual item, could be worth asking though?

Edit: mistaken key identity

Edited by Ahmedsinc
  • Like 1

Had same problem with a dodgy ign key for my E36. Locksmiths said they could transfer the data to the chip in a new blank BUT when I tried it, data only allowed me up to ignition dash light phase (engine won't turn over). Only option was to ring Jeff Grey on Hutt Road supply vehicle info & ID then got new key from Germany...

Key arrived in a week, programmed at Hutt Road & problem solver.

Cost $373.28

Oh yeah....locksmith refused to have anything to do with BMW after refunding key...

Edited by Billyboy

In talks with MillAnd now. Looks like all they need is the vin, so I'm tempted to just risk it and buy one if I actually lose the key I've got (the car was only bought as a $2k cheap runaround lol). I also tried Beveridges Locksmiths today and they said it would be about $250+gst through their guy, who would come to me and do it on the spot.

BUT when I tried it, data only allowed me up to ignition dash light phase (engine won't turn over).

Thats normal for a key that hasnt been coded sucessfully/at all i think

A while ago I obtained two plank diamond shape keys off e-bay for my e46. From info gathered on a thread on here cost $100.00 had them both laser cut $40.00. After making arrangements with a member he transferred the info from the ews to the new keys locking and remote access problem solved. Not sure if it has any bearing but the car had the radio system but the ews and other electronic's used came from a infrared system.