Sign in to follow this  
tobester

WTB Bluetooth solution for iPhones in E46

Have recently bought an E46 330i Touring. Has a tape deck head unit (version w mode button FWIW), a 6 disc stacker in the boot and a multi-function steering wheel. At a glance no evidence that it's wired for car phone (no mic near the mirror).

Would like to do Bluetooth hands-free with an iPhone 4S and 6. Have an iPod that I can put on a 3.5mm jack to the head unit if needed, but for bonus points would like to stream music off the phone too.

What's the best solution? BMW, DICE, Parrot, Dension? Anyone got something local?

Edited by Polax

Ordered a Grom Bluetooth kit for mine from the US. Think I used Youshop to save on shipping too. Total about $140. Installation was easy enough so did it myself.

Replaces the CD player connection so car sees it as a CD player. Works great, radio controls to skip track ect work, as do any steering wheel controls.

Comes with a mic too, wire can go behind the gauge cluster if you install it there, calls work great.

So such good cheap options for the new E92 with iDrive, it's either spend ~1k or just get one of those units that plugs into the aux input which is what I've done :(

Edited by Matth5

may have something that I removed from a e46 and also a kit from a x5 ,

when you pick up the cupholders , will show you :)

• Like 1

Ordered a Grom Bluetooth kit for mine from the US. Think I used Youshop to save on shipping too. Total about $140. Installation was easy enough so did it myself.

Replaces the CD player connection so car sees it as a CD player. Works great, radio controls to skip track ect work, as do any steering wheel controls.

Comes with a mic too, wire can go behind the gauge cluster if you install it there, calls work great.

So such good cheap options for the new E92 with iDrive, it's either spend ~1k or just get one of those units that plugs into the aux input which is what I've done :(

Sounds good. Just so I'm clear, does it respond to the phone buttons on the wheel or only the stereo ones?

Sounds good. Just so I'm clear, does it respond to the phone buttons on the wheel or only the stereo ones?

I can't recall if the phone button works, I think it does. But the next/prev track buttons work (and volume, of course).

There's other kits out there which won't respond to the next/prev buttons, especially any that work via an aux input.

Edited by Matth5