Sign in to follow this  
joejet

Overheated engine

Car: E36 316ti

Had a drivers side impact recently, and haven't driven the car while it was pranged up.

Today, on its first wee drive since the prang, the engine cooked up into the red area.

Under the bonnet I could see liquid/steam, with flecks of liquid coming out a bit, around the top of the engine bay.

Had to get towed in the end!

Am I right in presuming this is a head gasket problem/coolant line problem?

(like http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=4893)

Was likey to have been damaged in the impact the car took, although the bonnet panel is fine/unharmed.

Impact centered aroung the wheel area.

(I have had terrible luck recently!)

Looking to get the engine problem fixed at Powerhaus (a good choice?)

Anyway - hoping you could help advise on the problem.

Did you have antifreeze in the radiator? If so it will normally leave a stain where it is leaking from if it is an external leak. If you are lucky it will just be a hose or hose clamp not properly tightened. Panelbeaters are notorious for missing the finishing touches like tightening clamps...

try putting a garden hose in the radiator and use a rag around it to provide a sort of seal and then get someone to turn it on slowly. This will normally show an external leak up. If you can get hold of a radiator pressure tester it will be better for checking for leaks.

If there is no sign of an external leak, take off the oil filler cap and check for a messy oily gunge under the cap. If present will show a head gasket blown into the crankcase area. Could also indicate a cracked head..

A leak tester is the best thing for determining exactly what problem you have with the head etc but not many garages have this tool. Maybe you have a mate with one?

Have you looked at the oil after you run the car up ??

If it's a milky short of froth sh*t, it's a safe bet it's a head gasket.

Check to see where the steam is coming from, could be a badly clamped hose at best :)

have a look at the thermostat as well it could be jammed after an impact.

cool - loving the advice, hints and stuff. (learning curve!)

thank you all.

I hope that it'll just be that hose playing up - will post on the diagnosis Monday!

King Kong is great BTW! :thumb:

:mellow:

A Belated addition to the thread: THE RESULT!

So, the car was overheating.

Car was towed to Powerhaus , saw them on the Monday, gave John the symptoms, and received a call later that day with the diagnosis!

a $1950 bill! For a "radiator core replacement". - an in-dash job.

$700 in parts, $1200 in labour. The A/C was the thing in question.

I asked him to just bypass it - as I'd get it fixed etc before winter.

Anyhow, luckily later that day, John called back and said that the repair was actually a mis-diagnosis by one of his mechanics, and a faulty/corroded coolant valve/head behind the engine was to blame.

Replaced and running fine now. (for ~$120) a 1/10 of the orginal diagnosis!! Lucky...

Any thoughts?

A mis-diagnosis for sure!!! ;)

haha little ole Johnny butt bandid, i've never heard of good stories re Powerhaus

$1200 for labour to replace that little radiator inside the aircon unit???? Must be top notch gold-plated labour.. never mind the $700 for the part!!!

two words... RIP OFF !!! :finger: