Sign in to follow this  
Richard7666

e46 steering wheel play when centered

So my e46 has steering wheel play between about 11 and 1 o'clock when centred, the garage reckoned it's my steering rack and replaced with a second hand one ($600 all up)

In most cases, from my googling, the culprit has typically been the steering coupler http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_0942 (part 4, "swivel joint with universal joint", in BMW language I believe?)

I brought this up but they were adament it was the rack and that the u-joint/coupler was fine.

Got car back, took for drive, only thing that's different is steering feels tighter when turning, but that wasn't the problem. The play in the wheel is still there either side of centre, and not improved at all. I can happily wiggle it either way 20 degrees like it's just hanging there with only a bit of friction.

Is there anything else that would likely cause this sort of play? Ball joints, bottom arms are replaced already (helped with my tramlining a while ago), tie rods are also apparently okay...

Suffice to say they will be getting a call from me tomorrow : /

Edited by Richard7666

Two people working together should be able to locate this problem very quickly

• Like 2

Well apparently they had it on the lift and one turned wheel while the other looked, and determined everything was fine going into and out of the rack

Unless the guy in the car was just turning the steeringwheel too far (thus engaging everything properly), as the problem is only between about 11 and 1 either side of centre

Edited by Richard7666

Was it checked on a 2 post or 4 post hoist ? The steering should be loaded to check where the play is coming from.

Where are you located ? South of what ?

Was it checked on a 2 post or 4 post hoist ?

out of interest what difference would this make?

out of interest what difference would this make?

A 2 post hoist lifts by the body (suspension not loaded) a 4 post hoist lifts the car by the wheels with the suspension loaded

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Was it checked on a 2 post or 4 post hoist ? The steering should be loaded to check where the play is coming from.

Where are you located ? South of what ?

Sorry have changed location to be more accurate, Invercargill. Not sure re hoist, I didn't actually see them do it

What has been the outcome of your visit today ?

Only spoke on phone, will be taking it in on Thursday. But basically, they reckon the pinion inside my rack was stuffed, and it's possible that the replacement rack (second hand) was also faulty, although they had checked it.

They asked "what exactly was the problem". Perhaps they thought there was general play when the wheel was turned more extremely, (may have been a bit of play but I'd never noticed) and that appears to be what the new rack has "fixed" as it does feel slightly firmer when turning. But that wasn't a problem I knew I had.

I had originally made it pretty clear the issue I wanted remedied was free play either side of centre, even showed the guy.

I will keep thread updated

Edited by Richard7666

I had a similar issue a couple of years back, play in steering from side to side and a knocking or light thud when quickly turning the wheel side to side whilst parked, it ended up being part 3 in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AN16-EUR---E46-BMW-320i&diagId=32_0942

The unit had the smallest amount of play that transferred up the column and felt huge in the wheel. the part was replaced and all is good. the way the tested it was pushing on it from under the bonnet with a log screw driver, i could feel the play in the joint.

good luck!

^yep, that is the part i was concerned about that they told me it *wasnt*.

I took it in again about 3 weeks ago,they had another look, had a drive, told me it was fine.

...the steering wheel play is still sh*t IMO, and replacing the rack has made no difference.

I am gonna book in for an alignment at a different place, as that needs done anyway, and get 2nd place to give me an opinion on the steering.

If it turns out to be those steering joints, I will go back to the outfit who insisted it was my steering rack and will see what they have to say.