Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E30 Fuel Filter change showed nasty detritus

So as part of my refresh of my E30 323 i was replacing the fuel filter, what drained out of the old filter was more than a little shocking.

post-1298-0-03890400-1444449743_thumb.jppost-1298-0-46195100-1444449785_thumb.jp

post-1298-0-72951000-1444449902_thumb.jp

And that's from the 'filtered' side.

Seeking thoughts on appropriate steps before i put the new filter in... am i best to drain drop and clean the whole fuel tank? Because that does not look fun to do... i.e. remove exhaust and drive shaft.

Or just replace filters every tank or two for a few tanks till I've cleaned the sh*t out, then clean injectors etc.

Will post update pic once the sediment settles in the full cup.

Edited by Charlie F.

Did you drive this to Chch and so fresh gas and still picking up this rubbish??

I didn't test drive the car when I looked at it but seemed to idle fine, so this is is very surprising!!

Pretty much every fuel filter I've taken off and replaced has looked something like this. Unfortunately most people never think to change a fuel filter.

• Like 1

Did you drive this to Chch and so fresh gas and still picking up this rubbish??

I didn't test drive the car when I looked at it but seemed to idle fine, so this is is very surprising!!

No one is more surprised than me... I've done around 1500km since picking it up.

Just decided to knock out all the things in one go. Most of the body sanded back to respray the bits with spider rust, working on firewall and valve seals next week.

Pretty much every fuel filter I've taken off and replaced has looked something like this. Unfortunately most people never think to change a fuel filter.

I've never seen anything like it. Previous owner thought it had been changed recently as far as KM but maybe a long time ago as far as time.