Sign in to follow this  
kiwirecruiter

E36 M3 Price ranges ?

Hi All,

I'm new to forum so thanks in advance for any advice. I've been keeping an eye on TradeMe around price ranges for E36 M3's. Given different models i.e. 3.0l or 3.2l, more or less KM's, import or NZ new, and maitenance history etc, in general terms, would $14k - $17k represent the market for a car in good condition with reasonable kms?

I've also looked at Jap import LHD E36 M3 on TradeMe since May 14 and wonder why not selling? Is left hand drive a major deal-killer? And what reflects a fair price difference for a LHD v RHD model, if both were similar specs?

Many thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Hi and welcome!

I would say that is a fair estimate of the current prices, you may find exceptionally tidy cars for around $20K - but most are in the range you mentioned. I have seen that imported left hand drive M3, and I would say that the reason it hasn't gone is that most people dont want a LHD car when right hand drive models are still somewhat plentiful. What price difference between LHD and RHD is a matter of personaly preference but in general I would say that a LHD car will be at least $2-3K less than an equivalent RHD car.

• Like 1

Be careful with the LHD ones as some of them are US spec M3's which have no real value here in NZ.

• Like 1

E36 M3 Price ranges?

Answer: $1-$50,000

Real answer (in my opinion):

NZ New 3.2L low ks: $15000-20000

`

anything in between

`

Jap Import 3.0L high ks: $8000

• Like 1

From memory the Jap one is the US 'S50' engine - iron block M50 with a 3 litre stroker kit and slightly hotter cams. Has been repainted as well, engine bay is a different colour to the exterior - possibly bent then repaired at some stage? Makes 165-ish kW as opposed to the proper S50 which generates somewhere around 210kW and a far superior driving experience. The later 3.2 EVO models had nice touches like aluminium doors that the earlier models didn't get as well. I've anectodally heard of higher km (200,000+) examples selling for 7-11k, lower km well maintained ones are more like 15 - 25k.

Really depends on whether you want a pristine minter that is just drive away material or a project, but be aware that the cost of genuine parts is not cheap, nor are they readily available here in NZ. I have no beef with LHD models as they're better balanced than the RHD ones, but the real world difference is pretty minimal for a car that isn't being raced.

My guess would be aim for $15,000 as the midpoint, and go as far either side of that as you see fit / the budget (or the wife / significant other) will allow :) Factor in a Vanos overhaul and cooling system replacement as part of the buy price too, would be pretty terrible if you maxed out the $ to discover it needs another 3 grands work before its drivable!

• Like 1

From memory the Jap one is the US 'S50' engine - iron block M50 with a 3 litre stroker kit and slightly hotter cams. Has been repainted as well, engine bay is a different colour to the exterior - possibly bent then repaired at some stage? Makes 165-ish kW as opposed to the proper S50 which generates somewhere around 210kW and a far superior driving experience. The later 3.2 EVO models had nice touches like aluminium doors that the earlier models didn't get as well. I've anectodally heard of higher km (200,000+) examples selling for 7-11k, lower km well maintained ones are more like 15 - 25k.

Really depends on whether you want a pristine minter that is just drive away material or a project, but be aware that the cost of genuine parts is not cheap, nor are they readily available here in NZ. I have no beef with LHD models as they're better balanced than the RHD ones, but the real world difference is pretty minimal for a car that isn't being raced.

My guess would be aim for $15,000 as the midpoint, and go as far either side of that as you see fit / the budget (or the wife / significant other) will allow :) Factor in a Vanos overhaul and cooling system replacement as part of the buy price too, would be pretty terrible if you maxed out the $ to discover it needs another 3 grands work before its drivable!

Thanks Ahmedsinc, - yes read up about Euro-Spec v US Spec. Totally different cars alright. This is a Jap Import LHD Euro Spec 3.0l, so nice car (althogh maybe not as nice as 3.2/Evo) but research today appears been through compliance but with outstanding repair issues around activated airbag light. NZTA want fixed with repairs disclosed and signed off by an approved NZTA Repair Certifier before will allow any on-road registration. Speaking to a Certifier, they suspect reason importer/dealer hasn't fixed already is because could be a hugely expensive job or caused by an accident etc. All speculation but unless NZTA are satisfied fully rectified and by the right repair methods, then how Dealer thinks he can get someone to part with cash and risk not been able to register car on road is beyond me! Told me if I bought car he'd fix airbag light, register and WOF but only way I'd consider car any further would be arrange an offsite pre-inspection at quality BMW indy or Franchise, using electronic diagnostics and physical inspection. But Dealer told me yesterday he wouldn't let me take car off yard and I'd have to bring a mechanic on site, so maybe that's why it has sat unsold for 18 months, not just because LHD! Research, research, research.... :)

Edited by kiwirecruiter

I take it this is the LHD one you are talking about? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-835013543.htm

The US Spec purple one doesnt look to be listed ATM.

IMO a proper RHD 3.0 should net 10-15K depending on KM and condition, even then it was hard for me to sell mine in that price range (205KM, NZ new, good condition). An Evo would be 12-18K, with the exception of the SMG1 car which has a very small market.

• Like 1

Thanks Ahmedsinc, - yes read up about Euro-Spec v US Spec. Totally different cars alright. This is a Jap Import LHD Euro Spec 3.0l, so nice car (althogh maybe not as nice as 3.2/Evo) but research today appears been through compliance but with outstanding repair issues around activated airbag light. NZTA want fixed with repairs disclosed and signed off by an approved NZTA Repair Certifier before will allow any on-road registration. Speaking to a Certifier, they suspect reason importer/dealer hasn't fixed already is because could be a hugely expensive job or caused by an accident etc. All speculation but unless NZTA are satisfied fully rectified and by the right repair methods, then how Dealer thinks he can get someone to part with cash and risk not been able to register car on road is beyond me! Told me if I bought car he'd fix airbag light, register and WOF but only way I'd consider car any further would be arrange an offsite pre-inspection at quality BMW indy or Franchise, using electronic diagnostics and physical inspection. But Dealer told me yesterday he wouldn't let me take car off yard and I'd have to bring a mechanic on site, so maybe that's why it has sat unsold for 18 months, not just because LHD! Research, research, research.... :)

Sounds like the dealer is a fu**wit, to be blunt. The one you've linked to sounds like a dog.

PM M3AN, he has an S50B32 coupe so he'll be able to fill you in on more detail than I can

The Technoviolet Jap car has gone from TM, dunno if it sold or the dealer just got tired of listing it - last I saw I think it was under 10k.

Personally I'd stay away from the SMG one too. KIller colour combo, but the early SMGs are crap, to be honest, and the adjustable suspension sets off alarm bells too. I'm sure you've come across the hours stories of E36s tearing rear upper shock mounts courtesy of rear coilovers.

The Dakar Yellow sedan in Dunedin is a treat, get some decent springs back on the car and it would be pretty hard to beat! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-973192201.htm

Surprising how few E36s are on the market now, I guess since the E46 has dropped to the 25k mark people just aren't selling them. Good luck with your search, wish I was the one in your predicament!

Edited by Ahmedsinc
  • Like 1

I sold my (very tidy) ~170k '95 3.0L for $16k last year.

• Like 1

I take it this is the LHD one you are talking about? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-835013543.htm

The US Spec purple one doesnt look to be listed ATM.

IMO a proper RHD 3.0 should net 10-15K depending on KM and condition, even then it was hard for me to sell mine in that price range (205KM, NZ new, good condition). An Evo would be 12-18K, with the exception of the SMG1 car which has a very small market.

Yep that is the car.....