Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

So i bought a lemon... persist or part out

Long story short, bought a M20B23 converted E30 320. After fighting to stabilise the rust (total removal not practical), fuelling among other dramas, it seems the front crank shaft bolt has sheared off inside the engine.

So i was half considering repowering it anyway, so it's not full tears time. Once i saw the extent of the rust though i decided just to run it into the ground then use it for parts or track duties.

Anywho the crank bolt scenario means the ground is much much closer.

I really love the E30, much more fun than my old E39.

Im at a crossroads here, repower, part, replace with another e30 or should i just grab an E36 M3 as they seem to be bloody great value, on par with a cared for 325.

There is that SAF E30 327 supercharged that's on trademe also...

Could have days or weeks to make up my mind

I'll have a complete with loom & ecu & accessories m20b25 up for sale shortly.

(Auckland though)

Edited by duvey
  • Like 1

im so sorry to hear whats happening, no one deserves to be sold a car that is so fundamentally fudged (especially from a fellow member!).

Could it be worth trying to remove the broken bit of bolt in the crank? surely a nice big chunky screw extractor could do it?

Edited by KwS

im so sorry to hear whats happening, no one deserves to be sold a car that is so fundamentally fudged (especially from a fellow member!).

Could it be worth trying to remove the broken bit of bolt in the crank? surely a nice big chunky screw extractor could do it?

I think perhaps before i totally give up I'll try that, and i might epoxy it back together again for good measure haha.

Do you know if the bolt is a one shot use deal?

i cant imagine a new bolt from the dealer being too expensive, only issue might be availability.

Have a go at getting the bolt out, if that fails put a m20b25 in it, have your fun in it and if the rust becomes too much later on part it out. You'll get your money back in the b25 later if you part it out.

Edited by polley