Sign in to follow this  
bekker

Exhaust bracket

I have an E28 525e.

Attached to the rear of the transmission is a metal exhaust support bracket.

The problem is at certain RPM the exhaust vibrates on it and makes a bloody awful noise.

Should this bracket be insulated somehow, and if so any suggestions.

Is this bracket actually meant to hold the exhaust up, because at the moment there is no weight on it and I've assumed its there as a backstop, so to speak.

Thanks for any help.

I take it that whole has made itself bigger in the metal. If i am right then, What happens hear is that the whole made for the bolt to go through. Over the years with heating and rusting and other metal stuff. Its made itself (the hole) bigger in diameter. So just to do it up will do no good. You need a new hole or dill out the hole bigger and pack some spacers to fill the gap. It can be done.

Thanks for your reply, but I think you may be confused about the bracket in question.

Its a double U style bracket which sits underneath the exhaust and cradles it.

cheers

sounds like the top bit is missing, you only have the lower bit that is cradling the exhaust???

Is it this one? This is missing 3 bolts that pull it together though.

hanks for your help,

Its similar but there is no top peice on mine, its doesnt look as if there ever was one. It certainly doesnt look like there is a peice missing, its just a cradle.

I have included a picture (I hope).

Is the top part missing?

Btw the orange stuff I put on there to try and stop the noise.

Thanks.

post-6-1136876304.jpg

Yes, there should be something like 2 'U' shaped clamps around the tops of each pipe and bolting through your existing bottom bit, just like a single exhaust clamp. If you dont clamp it to the pipe it is going to continue rattling and driving you nuts...

I'm sure you can buy 2 exhaust clamps and use the U bits to make it work, or go to you exhaust shop and get them to do something.

pic of standard exhaust clamp I'm thinking about..

There is a top piece for this bracket, but yours is missing. This missing piece has a threaded hole in the middle. A single bolt fitted with a washer fastens the two together in between the two exhaust pipes. I would take a picture of mine but my camera is currently on holiday in Japan. Brent would probably have the parts you require.

Regards

Rod

Brilliant!

You guys are magic!

Ill try and find a part here in Wellington.

Cheers everyone. I love this forum!

Does anyone know where I can get one of these parts in Wellington.

Was this part specific to the 525e (or other M20 engined cars) or are all e28's the same.

BTW who is Brent?

Go to Pick a part in the Hutt. They have 2 5 series out there. Shouldn't cost you more than a few dollars. You have to take the part off yourself and they don't lend tools.