Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

S54 Camshaft locking tools (Borrow)

Has anyone got the camshaft locking tools for S54 I could borrow / hire for approx a month or so?

I want to remove it first and see what exactly needs to be done, But If I can't find the tools to remove it by the end of the week I'll remove what I can and just buy the lot and do it over a weekend.

I have a VANOS rattle mid rpm, so from what I have read it's most likely play in the spline shaft, but also worth checking over cam bolts and chain guides / tensioner.

Also if anyone has done this before and provide some pointers, best place to buy the parts etc. I've already bookmarked Besian Systems and DrVanos, plus a UK seller on Ebay who sells a seal replacement and rattle repair kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-S54-E46-M3-Z3-M-and-Z4-M-full-VANOS-Repair-Kit-performance-idle-rattle-/151933573854?hash=item235ff25ade:g:Vl4AAOSwn7dVIRvJ

Give me a call 021 449 242

I sold my gear (cam alignment tool + cam check tool + shim tool) to form member J-dog Sep-14. Don't know if he is still around but would be worth a PM. I spent a lot of time cutting through all of the "internet shite" around how to set up the Vanos. It has been a couple of years since I did this but can advise as required

No, S50 and S54 are different I'm afraid. But it's *not* a locking tool and strictly speaking it's not essential.

Beisan is the only link/source you'll need, the others are derivatives.

You also need to check your exhaust cam hub tabs, depending on miles they're probably already fractured.

Happy to help where I can.

Yeah more like alignment tool.

I've taken it all off now now, my spline shafts have a fair bit of play in them, the exhaust one especially. Hub tabs look fine, no issues there. I do however have 3 of the intake cam bolts loose, about half a turn out each. Scary!

Lucky, very lucky. When those bolts back out far enough to foul then all hell breaks loose. Really, you'll need to replace the hub at some point, hopefully before it breaks. Unless you have an x-ray you can't assess health but they're weak from the factory. Only axial play in the shafts is an issue and it's a minor issue compared to the rest. Easy to sort if you're taking it all apart.

Edited by M3AN

One thing to remember is even after you have done the upgrades the vanos is noisy for the first few hundred miles.