Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Will this affect you?

Hoons in noisy modified cars will feel the full force of tough new penalties that come into effect next week, police say.

The new laws give police the power to hand out 10 demerit points and a $250 instant fine to those deemed to be driving overly noisy cars.

The Land Transport Act changes will be introduced on January 16.

Police say they will be rigorously enforcing the laws to punish hoons who have terrorised residents with noisy modified cars.

The law change will also increase the level of automatic punishments for drivers caught well over the speed limit, under the influence of alcohol and recidivist drink-drivers.

Acting Canterbury road policing manager Senior Sergeant Trevor Pullen warned: "If you are going to be racing around like a hoon making lots of noise, eventually you are going to lose your licence."

Police officers will be able to impose an instant $250 fine, increased from the current level of $150, and demerit points if they felt a car was "significantly louder than it should be", Pullen said.

There was no existing legal test of what constituted a noisy vehicle so individual officers had to make their own assessment, he said.

There was no existing legal test of what constituted a noisy vehicle so individual officers had to make their own assessment, he said.

perceptional, what a crock of sh*t.....

Cool! another way of cops using their "Opinions" to fine people. Add that to the face that some old dude in a harley is unlikely to get fined, whereas the dude in an Evo will be. If cops can use their judgement wisely (e.g. fining people at 3am in a residential area Vteccing outta control) then great....but my feeling is that it just gives cops another excuse to fine "boyracers"

Yes, that's the problem as I see it also.

If they had calibrated sound level meters and compared the noise at a certain set of revs with a chart, I'd be in favour of the legislation, but for it being too loud for any on cop at any time is way too subjective to make any sense.

Still, my stock exhaust makes me invisible to their ears... B)

haha oh sh*t. Not really much I can do with my car but with those laws imposed seems like my license will be revoked just by having a noisy car :(

As gus mentioned, I know people with harleys that would easily drown out the sound of most cars yet the new law is not specific to those types of vehicles.

I can totally see where the need for something needs to be done, but needs to be done in a fair and practical manner for all motorists and with consideration to all parties involved (hope that made sense haha)

This may affect me as my car is a tad louder than stock (makes going through tunnels a blast eh Andrew and Dan). This is my second exhaust as my first one (which was considerably quieter) shattered itself to pieces (well the muffler did anyway), so I needed a higher quality one (and for some reason louder). I'm slowly getting sick of it as it is a pain in the ass at low speeds.

I used to have an 84 Celica with an even louder exhaust. The people in my university hostel used to hate me in first year when I hooned up the carpark.

What about Ian's 323i race-car? that is one freakin loud car. A good loud tho...

Edited by Deftones

awesome. its about time we got rid of noise..

how bout we ban air too...

any votes for?..

why the f**k don't they just educate our youth better and teach them how to be considerate towards others and use their common sense, if they have no common sense after trying to teach them for over a year then lock them up or give the death penalty before the have a chance to f**k up cos you know they will.

also 95% of aftermarket exhausts are put on by a professional, but ... is there a law restricting what they can put on someones car without having a special race certification? prevention from having loud cars in the first place would be a far better way of reducing exhaust noise and ... i'm not too sure why after over a year of the warrant of fitness exhaust tests there are still noisy cars out there???

There is no way this would stand up in court if someone where to challenge it.

Without fully calibrated equipment this will be a disaster to manage.

Dont get me wrong Im all for the 'hoons' getting done for an excessively loud exhaust but honestly, this is pathetic.

Oh and Tane, Id pull you over and give you points just for having a dirty car in your sig pic :P

The loudest exhaust I ever had was a length of copper downpiping from a roof. Straight through from the exhaust manifold to the back. Bloody hell it was loud!! Talk about a reasonant volume increase!

It eventually split down the folded seam and became useless - but for a few days in the '60s - we terrorised New Plymouth... :lol:

Guest Andrew

so your saying i can't drive the racecar round on the street with no muffler - meh its as loud as ians anyway - badass.

yeh some trucks and Harleys(or harleys wannabes) are louder than a lot of so called boy racers.....its not about how loud it is more about making it loud when you shouldnt....get it?I thought some sort of "test" would be applied at WOF time,maybe in April when the emmisions are tested....bit worried about that.

The loudest exhaust I ever had was a length of copper downpiping from a roof. Straight through from the exhaust manifold to the back. Bloody hell it was loud!! Talk about a reasonant volume increase!

It eventually split down the folded seam and became useless - but for a few days in the '60s - we terrorised New Plymouth... :lol:

best post ever, brilliant stuff rog.

my 5 is f*kn loud, havin only cobys. Think at last time was louder than Ians, haha.

But yuh, another way to turn "boy racers" and young car enthusiasts (two different groups) against police.

Still, i mostly did my exhaust for the performance increase, not for noise, would be good if the police actually knew what ones were too loud and only for noise and cut down on them. Would have nothing against that.

How do targa cars go with this law? Thats what Im interested to find out. Will ask my uncle next time I see him.

best post ever, brilliant stuff rog.

my 5 is f*kn loud, havin only cobys. Think at last time was louder than Ians, haha.

But yuh, another way to turn "boy racers" and young car enthusiasts (two different groups) against police.

Still, i mostly did my exhaust for the performance increase, not for noise, would be good if the police actually knew what ones were too loud and only for noise and cut down on them. Would have nothing against that.

How do targa cars go with this law? Thats what Im interested to find out. Will ask my uncle next time I see him.

re targa cars, its like any rally car thats road legal, they are really only road legal for the purposes of touring between stages, so there is effectively a blind eye turned on their exhaust level.

However although the car is warrented with a louder exhaust, I could imagine an asshat cop would try and do you for it anyway... And if you were to use your purpose built rally car as a daily driver (yes please! :-) ) Im sure a cop would have something to say about that! Something to do with anti-lag on courtney place wouldnt go down so well...

are there gonna be emissions tests in april??

No.

As one of our products is an exhaust emission tester, I have a fair idea. The short answer is no, as most garages perceive them to be too expensive (in general).

Personally, (and aside whether we sell them or not) I would love to see it. I hate cars polluting my road.

My only concern would be whether there would be a simple avenue for debating and quashing a ticket, assuming of course you have been unfairly ticketed, a simple decibel test would suffice

why the f**k don't they just educate our youth better and teach them how to be considerate towards others and use their common sense, if they have no common sense after trying to teach them for over a year then lock them up or give the death penalty before the have a chance to f**k up cos you know they will.

No No No...your missing the point....theres easy money to be made

education is way to much hard work....and no easy tax

Tane you car isnt that loud - i liked it...wasnt overly noisy or offensive at all.

Andrew you can drive your car.....but you cant get caught(hehe) its not a crime till then aye

you want loud - try throwing a spark plug out the top...or cracking an extractor off at the top....MIGHTY TRACTOR...-90% power....but the noise.....lovely stuff through residential streets at 3am

you want loud - try throwing a spark plug out the top...or cracking an extractor off at the top....MIGHTY TRACTOR...-90% power....but the noise.....lovely stuff through residential streets at 3am

see i know all about the cracked extractor, but the spark plug escapade you still have up on me!