Sign in to follow this  
MD13

e46 car jack

Ok so maybe I'm just an idiot but has anyone else here had trouble using the e46 jack?

Brake pad sensor went the other week so bought a new one from Gavin at Euro (cheers dude) and went to fit on the weekend. It;s the rear one on the drivers side. I get the tools and the jack out of the boot and decide to read the jack instructions as this is the first time I've seen a jack quite like this... I'm in my garage which has a painted concrete floor so meet the level ground criteria so proceed.

I fit the jack and wind it a little. I loosen the wheel nuts then wind the jack to lift the car - and I do mean lift the car! Yes it lifts the rear drivers side wheel but it also lifts the front which I find a bit unusual. Then I hear a creaking noise which makes me pause and the jack slips taking a small divot out of my concrete floor and a chunk out of my side skirt :o

Car moves 5 to 10 cm's across the garage floor too. Just glad I hadn't taken the wheel off yet. No way I'm trusting it enough to stick my head under!

You can proceed to calling me a noob now :P

I've not had a problem using the car jack, and in fact prefer using it to lift the car into position on many occasions. It's easier than hauling the trolley jack out... And you're right - jacking the car from one end or the other does tend to result in the whole side of the car being lifted.

It sounds like the foot of the jack wasn't exactly under the point that the lift pad connects to the car.

Regardless, you shouldn't be working under the car supported by the jack. You should be using axle stands or similar.

ah the good old widow maker. I never had an issue using mine but i hate them. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right. You need the OEM square rubber jack pad on the body for the jack to fit in and then the foot (as mentioned) needs to be well and truly aligned correctly and flat.