Sign in to follow this  
musccoo

e90 drophats in e30

Going to put e90 drophats in my front struts this weekend, what rubber spring pad do i want?

31 33 1 128 523 is 3mm for e30

31 33 1 128 522 is 9mm for e30

or

31 33 6 767 500 is for the e90

or does it not matter?

I re-used the original e30 ones. No issues, fit nicely.

• Like 1

I would reuse but my ones are f'd. Can I just roll without them all together?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I would reuse but my ones are f'd. Can I just roll without them all together?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Have seen a few over the years that damage the strut and push out at the bottom of the spring purch from running with no pad. then rust gets in there not a good look.

probably want thinnest you can get otherwise will counteract the whol point of the lower tophats

Hmm. Does anyone have a spare?

Might just wing it if not cause can't find any locally

Edited by mulanimal

I used the factory pads. The e90 drop hats are exactly the same diameter just slightly higher.

It's a wof requirement to have them in there and in good condition but a lazy inspector may not notice they're missing if he/she never saw them there before

Edit: I'll check my parts car for you tonight. They're also on ebay for next to nothing brand new

Edited by NVADER

Thanks man.

Mmm wof not a problem lol. Mine breezed through with rx7 brakes and wheel spacers like they were straight out of the factory :rolleyes:

Edited by mulanimal

I used road bike inner tubes pulled over the first coil on each side of the spring. Previously used no pads in the E30 and had no issues at WOF time as long as the springs are captive.

• Like 1

never heard of spring pads being a requirement.

they are only for comfort and to keep the noise down etc.

but i could be wrong.

I used road bike inner tubes pulled over the first coil on each side of the spring. Previously used no pads in the E30 and had no issues at WOF time as long as the springs are captive.

Well that's a good idea, I got plenty of them lying around..

Andy - OP is slow to pick up on your subtle correction that these are generally referred to as "Top hats" not "" Drop hats"" .

The difference in pad thickness is to enable you to level the suspension to within spec. To do this you first measure the ride height with a pad in there (usually the 3mm ) and then work out which to use where.

The other option is to plasti-dip the first wind on each end - but pads are nicer - you can make your own out of urethane sheet.

P.S Andy it's a spring 'perch' -------- "purch" is a colloquial term meaning 'to buy' or make a purchase. :mellow::wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :huh:

Actually, people do commonly refer to these as drop hats. That's what they're advertised as when they're being sold as E30 items probably to differentiate them from the factory top hats. http://store.garagistic.com/BMW-E30-front-drop-hats-31336764093-E90?search=drop%20hats

And yeah Andy - they're not specifically mentioned and I've passed warrants without my lowers in the rear but technically you're removing a factory suspension component. Comes down to whether or not the inspector knows that they're supposed to be there in the first place I guess.

Actually. Ron you are wrong and I did a typo earlier.

top hat is the spinny piece at the top. the upper strut mount I actually typo'd when i said that before.

the drop hat is the top spring purch (or perch) to prevent the spring from toching the spinning top hat.

which when using an E90 one on an E30 setup lets the spring sit up closer to the top hat.

• Like 1

Top hat / Drop hat refers to the same thing (The upper spring perch (shaped like a hat)), People were originally selling them off as drop hats for an e30 until someone figured out they were just OEM e90 top hats being sold as e30 "drop hats", name coming from the fact they "dropped" the car slightly.

Piece of useless e30 history for ya'll