Sign in to follow this  
DR1FTMONKEY

Lock nuts

Hey guys,

I've got a puncture I need to get sorted out but fairly sure I don't have the key/adapter for the BMW lock nuts on the car (E46). Does anybody know where I can pick one up for a reasonable price in CHCH?

Thanks

A Dealer last one I bought was around $20. If genuine and you can remember the number it has stamped on it all good. If not you will some how have to either get one of your lock nuts off or get the samples from the dealer to check which is the correct one for your car best of luck.

Jeff Gray BMW. They will be able to get your VIN from your licence plates and figure out which one you need. Cheaper than you think too!

Thanks guys, waiting to hear back from them now, sounds as though they're pretty busy!

Update: Lock nut sorted from Jeff Gray (About $29.70), but was very lucky to have a "puncture" as the back tyres are both stuffed. Thought they were fine as the outer tread is fine but there was pretty severe camber wear/shredding on the inside which I hadn't noticed. Very lucky as I was driving on the open road on Saturday.

Any tips to avoid this in the future, the tyre guys said you're best to run around 40psi in the back, but they didn't think there was likely to be a way to adjust the alignment enough to avoid it too much.

Just using the standard staggered M Sports E46 wheels.

Also spoke to BMW about servicing and they saw the airbag recall hadn't been done so that's being sorted on Friday. Far out the inspection 2 services are costly, $1500! Mine isn't currently due for that service, but we don't actually know when it was done, all I know is it received a basic service when I purchased it, and that the previous owner had work done from BMworkshop in Auckland, but no idea what.

Update: Lock nut sorted from Jeff Gray (About $29.70), but was very lucky to have a "puncture" as the back tyres are both stuffed. Thought they were fine as the outer tread is fine but there was pretty severe camber wear/shredding on the inside which I hadn't noticed. Very lucky as I was driving on the open road on Saturday.

Any tips to avoid this in the future, the tyre guys said you're best to run around 40psi in the back, but they didn't think there was likely to be a way to adjust the alignment enough to avoid it too much.

Just using the standard staggered M Sports E46 wheels

Get the alignment checked by someone that actually knows what they're looking at - Jeff Gray would be the place I'd take it to. Perhaps other Chch natives can suggest a reputable indy if dealership prices aren't to your liking? From the late 90's BMW started employing a little more rear camber than on older models, will pay to have your alignment and rear suspension bushes examined though. How worn are the outers of the rear tyres? If they're at or very near the minimum tread depth indicators it's likely everything's normal, but still definitely have it looked at by the experts for peace of mind. Simply running a higher tyre pressure will merely reduce the total tyre contact patch, won't do a damn thing to fix the problem if one exists.

Thanks for the tips Ahmed. I'll have a chat with them on Friday when I take it in for the airbag - perhaps they'll be willing to have a quick look. The new tyres are certainly sitting a lot more vertical at the moment but they are fresh off the rack.

Yes, proper alignment and check rear trailing arm bushings (RTAB's).

Just using the standard staggered M Sports E46 wheels.

Check the tyres you are using have the correct load rating. I cured this issue on my e39 by changing to tyres with a higher load rating, usually a bit more expensive but lasted twice as long!
  • Like 1

From the late 90's BMW started employing a little more rear camber than on older models,

Dunno, the E12 runs a fair bit too - looks similar to the E39 from behind. Typical of independent rear end.