Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

Next BeeM?...

Hi all

A few mths ago (Nov) I got an ex Jap 525i M-Sport off another member here and it's a great car and piss easy to live with... though it's started to get a little boring (lack of power and/or chuckability) given it's mainly used as commuter and rarely gets set free in it's natural environment (state highways) so am thinking of a minor upgrade in the coming months before the car rebels.

Budget won't be large (weddings and houses aren't cheap), likely to be $6-9k give or take - depending what I get for the 525.

Main requirements are reliability (as much as can be expected for an oldish euro), and something that's a bit more "fun" to drive. Auto or man, doesn't matter much - though auto is handy for the SH2 commute. Size doesn't matter either (lol) as it's just myself and the finance minister most of the time... would prefer sport over luxury spec but getting a good car is more important.

Current thinking is a 328 e46 M-sport but a 325ti is intriguing, though rare... anyway, any good advice? Recommendations Pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

Cory

My 330ci fulfills most of my needs pretty well. Would have preferred a manual in the weekends but an auto makes commuting nicer and sport mode does well to give you power when you want it most of the time. The 330 is not exactly a fast car but it has some power and feels quick and responsive in sport mode, and handles fantastically. The m sport suspension is a bit bumpy on Christchurch roads but a dream on open road and I expect would ride a lot nicer in places which don't have patched bumpy roads like chch currently does. There seems to be a few around within your budget, mine was $9k from a dealer mid last year, just over 100ks, fairly well looked after conaidering age so there's some good ones around in that price range. I was looking at 325s originally and the 330 was definately more powerful and in the lighter 3 series body it should feel like a nice power upgrade over your 525.

• Like 1

Thanks guys - yeah, 330 is on the radar for sure... saw a couple on TM here in Wellyfornia when I was in the market last year and they're still listed (?). Good to hear they're a little lighter in the handling dept - which stands to reason of course!

Any model designation beginning with an M and then preceded by a number... :D.

Another member is (still is?) selling a 540i Msport - worth considering IMO

• Like 1

Haha - cheers Greg, did you get your 8?... and yeah - definitely M rather than not, just need a number with a three or four instead of a two lol

Cheers, Cory. Haven't got my 8 but ended up with an E60 M5 - and what a machine!

Having had an E36 M3 saloon (the dakar yellow one for sale in Dunedin) and now an M5 I can definetly recommend an 'M' car is the way to go (if and when circumstances allow).

Glad that the E39 has stacked up but sounds like you've got to where I got to: good, practical but unexciting. I'm sure your next 'upgrade' will hit the mark for you. And I wouldn't say no to a 330/530 either.

Oh - and getting an 8 is still on the radar for the future.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Great stuff Greg - an M3 is well down the list for me but yeah, 330 ms could be a good step forward :)

Have driven a couple of M5's over the years... you lucky bugger - enjoy!

Jeez, used prices are all over the place - as usual... may be better to wait a couple of months and up the budget a little which should get me into an E60 323/325. I guess it's a matter of waiting for the right car/condition/price.

Up the budget and look for a higher spec E46 330i. If you go for an E9x 323/325i you'll wind up with a similar performance & handling level in a much smaller (and significantly more boring, IMO) car. Or if waiting isn't really your thing look for an E39 530i or a 540i, M if you can find a nice one. Far more responsive suspension setup and a power & torque curve much better suited to the weight & handling characteristics of the E39. Will have some change from your 9k budget too

• Like 1

Or if waiting isn't really your thing look for an E39 530i or a 540i, M if you can find a nice one. Far more responsive suspension setup and a power & torque curve much better suited to the weight & handling characteristics of the E39. Will have some change from your 9k budget too

This is where I'm at, considering whether to pump a few $$$$ into the 525 to make it better (cosmetic and audio mainly), or just cut my losses shift it as is and look at something with more power.

There are a lot of 530 M's around - is there that much of a difference power wise?... probably better to wait a few mths and grow the budget.

525 to make it better (cosmetic and audio mainly),

IMO, you will get bored of this very quickly. End of the day, I would rather take a car with power and good handling than audio/looks/inflatable hot chick in the passenger seat.

Here's an E39 540i exhaust clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_OdUxvXIQ

Edited by Contrails
  • Like 1

This is where I'm at, considering whether to pump a few $$$$ into the 525 to make it better (cosmetic and audio mainly), or just cut my losses shift it as is and look at something with more power.

There are a lot of 530 M's around - is there that much of a difference power wise?... probably better to wait a few mths and grow the budget.

Yeah, enough to make the 530i a nicer car to drive. your M54B25 is good for 141kW & 245Nm torque, the M54B30 delivers 170kW & 300Nm - in old money the 3 litre has an extra 30hp & 40 ft/lb over the 2.5. I have a 530i estate as a daily for the wife & kids, and while it's no 1/4 mile monster it gets up to 100km/hr nice and effortlessly, overtaking is a breeze & compared to my E36 325i (which, incidentally, delivers nearly identical power figures to the M54B25) I rarely have it at WoT to pass someone, where the poor old E36 gets wound right up to overtake.

The V8 is a lovely engine with higher output, but I feel the older design steering and extra weight of the bigger donk make the 3 litre a nicer car to live with on a day to day basis. You should be able to step up to a 530i with very little extra cost once you sell your 525i, they really are extremely cheap these days. You should still get around 6k for your 2.5, excellent examples of the 530iM are around 8-9k. If you can find one, the 3l diesels are great engines too - but they're practically unobtanium here in NZ. Short of aftermarket cosmetics (which will make the car harder to sell) there isn't much you can do to the appearance of the E39, and door-doof ain't gonna make it go faster! I understand the E60 is a nice car too, but to get a newer equivalent to the 530i M-sport you'll have to shell out more like 16-18k, guess it depends on how much you want to spend on a car really.

• Like 1

Looks like the arse has fallen out of e39 6 cyl Msport (and standard spec) values. Several on TM around $6-8k but they're not moving. Have put mine on no reserve, currently at $3k which will impact the upgrade budget a bit, but I'm buying in the same market so it's not all bad.

Am keeping an eye on the 325ti in Akl, though not sure I'd want to pay much more than $4k for it - I'm sure it's a great buy but not being able to view it prior to bidding is a bit risky; especially with a private sale.

Aside from that I'm not sure where I'll go - unlikely to go another e39 as whilst I can get something with more power (never a bad thing), it's still the same car and it's still more than I need for what is effectively a commuter car (most of the time). May go a 330 but nothing on TM really jumps out.

Was thinking about an E87 but reading on here the 120/118's aren't that flash and my budget won't stretch to a six at the moment - may have to consider a non-Beemer... possibly even something "sensible" for the time being. Luckily it's not a life sentence!

Any other suggestions? Budget ideally around $5-7k, can go more if it's worthwhile.

Any other suggestions? Budget ideally around $5-7k, can go more if it's worthwhile.

E30 coupe? When I was hunting around for a BMW, I saw a gorgeous black E30 325i convertible with tan leather and manual for $7k and it looked absolutely mint! I was just a little late in contacting the buyer but I would love to have one in the garage.

• Like 1