Sign in to follow this  
markoneswift

Bit of advice please - new 318ti owner with couple of issues

Hey guys, Justin here. My son has just bought his first car - an 02 318ti. Seems like a great car for him and we got a great price on it but it does have a couple of issues.

First issue is the ABS warning system - all the lights are on but no codes (or at least, none that I can read) are being thrown to the ECU. Could I get some advice on what this may mean ? I'm planning to check / clean all the wheel sensors over the weekend and have already checked / topped up the brake fluid level.

The next issue was discovered when I scanned the ECU, looking for ABS fault codes. What I actually found were secondary air injection fault codes for bank 1 and bank 2. Is this a common / easy to resolve issue by any chance ? We also have a smell of (what I assume to be) burning oil and a very light amount of smoke emitting from around the engine somewhere. I'm thinking it could just be excess oil from a careless top-up that's burning off, but otherwise it could be related to the CCV system, maybe a split pipe or something ? Again, advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers all :-)

While you're waiting for more experienced answers I'll just say this . . . it would be worthwhile checking battery and alternator output voltages. Low voltages can cause any number of fault codes so always good to eliminate that before chasing codes.

Dont really understand the bank 1 and bank 2 thing - thats V engine terminology to me, sure the scan tool is set up right?

Edited by BlackAngel

What are you using to scan the codes?

Have you cleared the codes to see what (re)appears? If not do that first.

Does the ABS actually work? Test it in a safe place and be prepared for the wheels to lock up, mash the brake pedal from 40km/h. Either way for the light to be on there must be a code (light is the effect of a code, code is the effect of a fault). So you may need to get them read by a shop?

Needless to say you can't get a warrant with an ABS light on so you'll eventually need to get to the bottom of it.

Hi

My experience is with the E36/7 Z3, which should be very similar to the 318ti.

You will need a scanner that will talk to the ABS module. The ABS codes will not be found in the ECU.

On the Z3 there is a ODB2 plug by the steering column that only talks to the ECU. If I want to talk to the ECU and other modules, I need to use the 20 pin round plug under the hood. Not sure what plugs you have on the 318ti but hope this avoids a trap for you.

Secondary air injection/ pumps. I have an article that tells you how to test the secondary air system. Not sure how to attach a file to this post, so PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Crank Case Ventilation (CCV) problems are the usual cause for crank case pressurisation and leaking valve cover gaskets. A couple of quick tests:

1) Test the hoses from CCV to manifold, with a cold engine, start it up and take the oil filler cap off. The engine should start to stumble as the mixture will be lean due to the CCV system drawing in lots of air. If you try this with a warm engine, you will hear a tone change and maybe a bit of a stumble. The warm engine will be on close loop fuel mixture control and will compensate for the extra air in the mixture by dumping more fuel into the mixture.

2) Check for a blocked oil return hose. Engine off. Carefully remove the CCV hose going to the valve cover (old hoses will crumble). Blow into the hose and listen for air bubble in the oil near the dip stick. I use a piece of garden hose to make it easier to blow into the CCV hose.

Hope this helps

Regards

Murray

Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Like 2

Hi

Link to article on secondary air systems http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_n408_newsletter.pdf

While you are sorting out a scanner for the ABS, take out the speed sensors at each wheel and clean them. Dirty sensors are a common ABS issue. The sensors are magnetic and pick up brake dust and crap. They will look fury when you taken them out. Wipe them clean and put them back in. The ABS light will self reset while driving if this is the cause.

Hope this helps

Regards

Murray

Hi

Link to article on secondary air systems http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/2008_n408_newsletter.pdf

While you are sorting out a scanner for the ABS, take out the speed sensors at each wheel and clean them. Dirty sensors are a common ABS issue. The sensors are magnetic and pick up brake dust and crap. They will look fury when you taken them out. Wipe them clean and put them back in. The ABS light will self reset while driving if this is the cause.

Hope this helps

Regards

Murray

^this

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the help ! I'm just reporting back after chasing down another, possibly related, fault. The car was dripping oil out onto the exhaust from the back of the engine and making a holy stink so I've been fixing that. I removed the vacuum pump (as I see online this is a common leak point) and now I've fitted a new seal kit to it. I just need to re-torque the cover back on and get it back into the head.

Regarding code reading, I've just been using a Bluetooth OBD2 reader I bought off Trademe together with the Torque app on Android. Would I need something more like INPA and a suitable interface (again, from Trademe I think) to access all codes properly ?

Thanks again for the help so far :-)

Where about in Hamilton are you? I could possibly scan it for you

Hey mate, we're in Rototuna. Car isn't going at the moment as I haven't got the vac pump reinstalled yet. If you could scan it for us that would be awesome. Cheers.

Will be heading over to Chartwell possibly Thursday or Friday, may be able to sort something depending if you are home. PM me.

• Like 1

an update on the burning oil situation, it was the vacuum pump that was leaking oil through the cover. Took it off, got a seal kit, fitted the seals, refitted and it seems all good now. Just have to chase down this ABS issue now !