Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E39 ABS module

Have had the ABS & traction control lights intermittently appearing on wifeys 530i for +/- 1 week now. Have scanned with INPA & have found fault code 31 - open right rear wheel speed sensor. Swapped sensor for a known good used part and tried to clear error memory with no success, have tested the sensors for continuity (fine) & resistance (~4.5MΩ). Fault code instantly reappears after memory is erased, same number of incidents (220-ish iirc)

Am I on the right track assuming its the ABS module at fault here? So far Dr Google suggests I'm correct in preparing for the worst - would appreciate learned input here before I run out and blow a wad of cash on parts I don't need.

Also if anyone knows of an outfit in NZ that can refurb my current unit that'd be great!

Likely to be the module & telling bulsh#t fault codes. From experience sensors rarely fail.

Needs diagnosing to confirm. Check to see if it is dropping out the sensor reference voltage to the sensor - as mine was. Also do a sensor continuity check at the module.

Power Stop Engineering in Tauranga to repair - if it can be repaired. Some can't - as was mine.

what year? - the early ones had the module behind the glove box rather than on the back of the abs unit so weren't subject to the heat of the exhaust.

I chased abs sensors all over the car - had a right rear sensor fault which changed to left when swapped over - replaced both - tried a different module to rule that out - gave up in the end and left it with SDEuro to sort - pleasantly surprised when they sorted it cheaply by just cleaning all wiring contacts

. . . either that or there is some little secret they know that I dont

Edited by BlackAngel

Probably is the module :-(

I got mine from maf-shop.de, new.

I've heard a lot of mixed results from the repairs, and the guy I spoke to wan't too helpful - spend half the price of a brand new one that MIGHT fix it, and it not, they would sell me one for DOUBLE what I got the new one for, but wouldn't charge for the repair!

call me Monday can sort it out

Likely to be the module & telling bulsh#t fault codes. From experience sensors rarely fail.

Needs diagnosing to confirm. Check to see if it is dropping out the sensor reference voltage to the sensor - as mine was. Also do a sensor continuity check at the module.

Power Stop Engineering in Tauranga to repair - if it can be repaired. Some can't - as was mine.

Haven't yet checked continuity from the module plug, I doubt theres a wiring fault though it can't entirely be ruled out I guess. Did think it was odd for a hall sensor to fail, nothings impossible but. Will have another dig about with the MM and see what else I can find

what year? - the early ones had the module behind the glove box rather than on the back of the abs unit so weren't subject to the heat of the exhaust.

I chased abs sensors all over the car - had a right rear sensor fault which changed to left when swapped over - replaced both - tried a different module to rule that out - gave up in the end and left it with SDEuro to sort - pleasantly surprised when they sorted it cheaply by just cleaning all wiring contacts

. . . either that or there is some little secret they know that I dont

2001, Bosch 5.7 - module in the engine bay, unfortunately. Given it's a 15 year old car with 165000km and the reputation these units have for failure I'm anticipating its the module at fault

Probably is the module :-(

I got mine from maf-shop.de, new.

I've heard a lot of mixed results from the repairs, and the guy I spoke to wan't too helpful - spend half the price of a brand new one that MIGHT fix it, and it not, they would sell me one for DOUBLE what I got the new one for, but wouldn't charge for the repair!

Yeah, theres also the downtime while waiting for the unit to be assessed to see if it's even repairable. Will look at the .de site, I get the feeling the wallet is gonna be haemorrhaging for a while over this :(

call me Monday can sort it out

Choice, will do