Sign in to follow this  
BlackAngel

BMW 523i SE 1997 - manual

Tempted to trade my 520i auto in on this uk spec manual http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1066454711.htm

I actually prefer the standard suspension over the motorsport suspension and the comfort seats too - if they dont give me a decent trade I could keep the 520 for parts and transfer the leather and maybe the diff over if the 520 has a higher gearing.

Cast iron block gives a little piece of mind as well in reference to overheating - they can take a fair bit of abuse unlike the alloy ones.

Edited by BlackAngel

$6K!

Those are standard seats, not comforts. The comforts have the 2 piece backrests.

It's fairly bare bones, though at least they sprung for the high OBC and climate air.

My 525i manual is much better specced, but I seriously doubt I'd get anywhere near $6K for it anymore :(

$6K!

? Asking price: $4,990

Those are standard seats, not comforts. The comforts have the 2 piece backrests.

Ok my ignorance on the seats. My 520 has the leather - could swap them in

It's fairly bare bones, though at least they sprung for the high OBC and climate air.

My 520 doesnt have high OBC

My 525i manual is much better specced, but I seriously doubt I'd get anywhere near $6K for it anymore

How much you want for it? :D

It would really depend what he'd ttrade my 520 for - and if not, how far he'll come down on price. Got a line on some 17"rims/tyres for it for a hundy too.

What do you reckon it's worth?

<<<<really missing having a manual :( even been looking at rs200 Altezzas :blush:

Edited by BlackAngel

Spied this over the fence after hours last night on way to Iron Maiden concert and it had a price in the windscreen of $3990.

How much you want for it? :D

Ha! it's not worth anywhere NEAR what I want... and you'd probably want a mate who can do minor touchups, to make it tidy. It's cursed... by carpark users. Plus my wife would prolly kill me if I sold it... but she'd get over it :-)

Spied this over the fence after hours last night on way to Iron Maiden concert and it had a price in the windscreen of $3990.

That sounds more reasonable! Manual E39's (genuine ones, not dicked with ones with variable results) are really hard to find, and people who really want one will pay over the odds. I did!

Had another quick look at this today. Didn't drive it but started it up and gave it a once over.

Someone has fitted staggered tires to it - 205 in front and 225 at the back - and the back ones dont match.

Car looks straight enough - one scuff to front left corner, engine bay very clean and engine has no odd noises. Took oil cap off valve cover and it stumbled/almost stalled so appears gaskets are tight and pcv system all working properly.

All pixels working and air-con working good - some dim lighting on the lower right of the instrument cluster. All self test lights (abs/airbag/engine) appearing to do what they should.

Interior is blue - manual seats - but no obvious defects.

They are still trying for the $4990 price tag even though I found a windscreen card in the back with $3990 on it - claiming that was a mistake. . . . . Somewhere between 3k and 4k I'm interested under 4k I might test drive - 3k Id probably buy it I think.

• Like 1

Had another quick look at this today. Didn't drive it but started it up and gave it a once over.

Someone has fitted staggered tires to it - 205 in front and 225 at the back - and the back ones dont match.

Car looks straight enough - one scuff to front left corner, engine bay very clean and engine has no odd noises. Took oil cap off valve cover and it stumbled/almost stalled so appears gaskets are tight and pcv system all working properly.

All pixels working and air-con working good - some dim lighting on the lower right of the instrument cluster. All self test lights (abs/airbag/engine) appearing to do what they should.

Interior is blue - manual seats - but no obvious defects.

They are still trying for the $4990 price tag even though I found a windscreen card in the back with $3990 on it - claiming that was a mistake. . . . . Somewhere between 3k and 4k I'm interested under 4k I might test drive - 3k Id probably buy it I think.

such a dodge wheel dealer.

update - I see the price has dropped 1k on trademe down to 3990 . . . . . if they drop another 1k I might actually go back and drive it. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1096794552.htm

Edited by BlackAngel

At $3k it's worth serious consideration.

On 11/05/2016 at 8:04 PM, BlackAngel said:

Car looks straight enough - engine bay very clean and engine has no odd noises.

Went for a bit of a road trip to buy this car today, ended up running extremely fast in the other direction.

Under the bonnet is an unmitigated disaster:

*Oil everywhere, and heaps of it. Rocker cover gasket is gone, others are suspect.

*Coolant stains all over the show- like, really majorly bad- needs a total cooling system replace. Rust to the pipes heading off to the heater- so who knows what the inside of that system looks like too

*Most tellingly for me though, was the tiny copper particles merrily swirling about in the coolant (I say coolant- it is more a kind of dirty water). That's right, bright clean copper, not rust. Oil was clean, so maybe some other kind of leak not just a dodgy head gasket fix.

Made an offer which they accepted, but decided it really needs a new engine and cooling system, so not really worth the effort when combined with the hideous blue interior- alas, no manual E39 for me.

• Like 1

Wow - Engine must have been recently cleaned when I saw it.

FWIW, cooling system doesn't scare me on these earlier E39 engines, my 97 has been overheated several times . . . . badly . . . . replaced radiator, thermostat and housing and its still singing 30,000 km later.

Maybe you might like  this one then . . . . http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1177654453.htm