Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E36 5-sp manual gear knob

The gear knob in Miss M's car is falling to pieces. Anyone have a good spare?

I'd post a part number but realoem is having a break. :(

Shall I just pack up all the BMW ods and ends I have and send them all your way? I have one from an E30 that will do the job, it was glued on so may need to be reglued so it stays put but it is plastic so it looks tidy.

I replaced it with one from Ebay, I think. Didn't cost much.

• Like 1

The gear knob in Miss M's car is falling to pieces. Anyone have a good spare?

I'd post a part number but realoem is having a break. :(

I know someone selling a woodgrain one + tan boot from an e46 - (5 speed) - let me know if interested and will pm contact details.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I'll take a pic of the gearknob - it appears to have split vertically, which isn't something I'd expect. Could be normal (for an E36) ?

Looks as though what I had thought was a split, could actually be a part of the design. However, I'm sure the exposed channel should be filled by some sort of trim piece. However, that doesn't seem to fit with anything I'm seeing on RealOEM at the moment, although this knob could have come from another BMW, or somewhere else entirely.

post-51211-0-09900400-1464151052_thumb.j

post-51211-0-00224000-1464151056_thumb.j

Regardless, it looks pretty 'orrible, and doesn't feel good to use. IIRC it should come off easily enough, being a relatively simple case of simply pulling it off the shaft.

I know someone selling a woodgrain one + tan boot from an e46 - (5 speed) - let me know if interested and will pm contact details.

Thanks for the offer but I'd like to stay with black leather. :)

Shall I just pack up all the BMW ods and ends I have and send them all your way? I have one from an E30 that will do the job, it was glued on so may need to be reglued so it stays put but it is plastic so it looks tidy.

If they're looking for a home, I can offer them some cosy shelf space. :)
Edited by gjm

The groove is where the join/s in the leather sits when it hasnt fallen off. I got an illuminated retrofit one from ebay for reasonable money. Not genuine but pretty good quality replica.

• Like 1