Sign in to follow this  
damomonster

Fuel Needle Help..

Hey everyone.. Moving onto the next fault in my '99 540i - the Fuel Needle in the cluster won't go to Full - even when using Test 2 to test the cluster - it only goes to 3/4's - is there any ideas on this or recommends as to who I could send the cluster to for repair?

Cheers,

Damo

Could try looking at the fuel sending unit? Fuel level sensor?....i don't know for sure as i don't own a 5 series, but will suggest some ideas.

• Like 1

Have you checked the sender, mine did this and it turned out to be a damaged float on the level sender, it was soaking up fuel and sinking!

• Like 1

Hey there! Thanks for the replies - No I havent check the sender - I thought since the cluster test failed that it must be the cluster itself - when the cluster does a self test does it actually get its reading from the sender even in self test?

Cheers :)

No a cluster test is just that, it's testing the cluster only. You have a cluster fault but I can't offer more than that sorry.

Yeah I think that its the needle/spindle/cluster thats acutally faulty.. im wondering if the cluster has been repaired at some stage (pixel refresh) and someones damaged the needle/spindle...

Does anyone know where the best place in NZ is to send my cluster for repair? After reading all the tamper dot/coding type stuff I dont think replacing the cluster outright is really for me..

Cheers,

Damo

Hi

It sounds like you have a poor resistance connection somewhere in your fuel gauge circuit in the instrument cluster. The following link is for a Z3 but it may have the information you need for your 540. The clusters look similar.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1041265-Z3-Fuel-Gauge-Fixes-Stuck-Low-Fuel-amp-Wacky-Gauge&highlight=gas+gauge

Hope it helps

Regards

Muzz

Edited by NZ00Z3