Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

M30 Crank Nut Removal Tool

Hi e28 fanatics

So I am attempting to remove the 325psi crank nut to replace the timing chain and guides etc on an M30. Engine is on a stand so yeah, great fun. I have locked the flywheel up with a chain and given the breaker bar  + longest tube sitting around the garage a go but it is not moving at all. So I turned to google for options (Last time I removed one I could not remember it being this difficult) and what I found was that BMW made a special crank holder tool, which doesn't look to hard to replicate. Has anyone had a go at making this or a similar tool for the job? I am going to give it a try, would anyone be interested in the cad files after I have completed it? Would look to have it water or plasma cut.

should come undone with a big bar if you lock the flywheel with a big screwdriver.

Also will come off with a rattle gun.

Rattlegun is what I used.  Took a bit.

Unfortunately my tool collection does not currently include a rattle gun so looking for another simple solution. Also it will be useful for the reinstallation as well.