Sign in to follow this  
gjm

M42 vs M43 vs M44

What benefits, other than increased power, does any one of these engines have over the others? Or, what drawbacks?

At the moment I get the impression that the M43 is an 8v engine used in the 318i, while the M42 and M44 are 16v DOHC engines used in the 318iS, and they all have chain-driven cams. (That may be a little simplistic and I'm aware there are some slight differences in capacity.)

Is the M43 more robust than the M42/4? Are there pitfalls with the 16v engines?

M43 is little more than an evolution of the M40 engine. belt went to chain, a few emissions things added, but went to plastic cooling system we all know and hate. bullet proof little unit as long as you keep on top of the plastic cooling. cannot fit M40 metal cooling parts to it though.

M42 was first used in E30 and then the early E36 318iS and 318Ti. very popular unit, lost a bit of its charm when fitted into the E36 that it had in the E30, with its different intake manifold and heavier car to move around. Compacts are still a bit of fun if manual. all versions including E30 are chain. My pick of the three, though i do like the M40 as well. have seen some very poorly maintained units over the years that just keep plodding along.

M44 is the evolution to the M42. lots of emissions stuff added being an engine that was to take BMW into the new millennium. better AFM setup. DISA valve introduced. more complicated EWS. grew in size by 100cc too. but still very much evident its an evolution, many parts are cross compatible.

all pretty reliable except for the failing plastic coolant parts causing them to be overheated often by people that don't stop and get it towed to a workshop

all have sleightly different specs , power and torque etc