Sign in to follow this  
Albertouy

Christchurch to Picton/Auckland?

Hi guys I'm happy to announce I bought my first e30!.

It's a 89 four door one, the exterior is in alright condition so is the engine and the interior has seen better days but nothing too bad. I'll post more pictures when I have it and I'll try to make it to a meeting.
The small problem is I bought it in Christchurch days before the earthquake and I was planning to drive it up to Auckland but now I'm having second thoughts and thinking to ship it.

I was wondering if any of you is living in the South Island more specifically North Canterbury/Malborough and knows what the condition of the highway is.

And anyone that has shipped their car from Christchurch to Auckland and what prices I should be looking?.

Cheers guys,
Alberto

Edited by Albertouy

I'd imagine shipping would be slow and expensive now? SH1 is closed but there is an inland route, or westcoast available. Will take longer, but definitely still do-able. Or hold fire as they are considering putting in a lyttelton to wellington ferry.

Call and talk to your preferred shipping company. They would be able to tell you want the back up plan is if there is one. 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Call and talk to your preferred shipping company. They would be able to tell you want the back up plan is if there is one. 

Yeah I'm leaning to ship the car because of limited time.

I don't have a prefferred shipping company because I haven't use one on the past but the cheapest I got so far was just under $700 is that any good?

$700 is a steal for the conditions at the moment. Is that an online instant quote, or actually talking to a company about it? Its chaos down there, no rail, no road, nothing.

The road to Picton is over via the inland route which adds another 3 hours to journey, unless you have a verbal quote I doubt they will be able to honour the online quote. 

the so called inland route is only from kaikoura to points south.The most direct way from picton to chch is via sh63,6,65.7 and 1..(this is only one lane in some parts slips etc)

SH1 is blocked both North and south of Kaikoura,and i think the "inland route"(via lyford and waiau) is still "broken"

Edited by kiwi535

Thanks for the advice people. I knew SH1 was blocked but I was wondering how the inland route was, I've done it a few times but I heard it has been closed to one lane but wasn't sure how much of it.

I ended up going with shipping the car, the quote was just under $700 by one of their sale reps from Haul Plus,