Sign in to follow this  
speakeasy

e30 Driveshaft!

it should if his car is manual.

Auto ones are shorter. I have an auto one if its what you're after.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

320i driveshafts are different to 325i ones as I found out the hardway. The 320i gearboxes are shorter than the 325i gearboxes, well, manual gearboxes at least.

would a driveshaft from an 87 M20 320i manual work?

nope,

I tryed really hard with this when i did my conversion but found the centre bearings on the pre facelifts and facelifts are different widths.

The facelift ones are 5mm wider :angry:

And aparently it wouldnt work because if we drilled a new hole to make it fit it wouldnt be balanced anymore- worth a shot though!

Just get a new centre bearing housing. That's all I did, but then realised the DS was a tad short anyway, but reused it.

I may have one for sale. It was a 320 driveshaft that has been shortned. Pre FL though so it will need a new centerbearing and it needs to be balanced again becuase its seperated at the center bearing

1) 320's and 325's did share gearboxes - depends on the exact build date on whether the same size.

2) Yes pre f/l and f/l centre bearings have different sized mounts - I just swapped mine over when I did the g/b conv. but it then shat itself - a whole new one including housing is less than $100 anyway. (I can't remember exactly but I was shocked how cheap it was).

3) Due to the phasing of the driveshaft universals, provided the two sections are from the same shaft there are only 2 possible configurations the two halves can join. If one creates vibration simply pull it out and swap it by 180 degrees.

4) Inspect the guibo/flexible coupling while you are there as these are also $100 and if its shagged you may as well do it whilst the shaft is out. Also the nuts on the shaft flanges are one-use. I've reused mine 2 or 3 times, but if you are one of these people that does everything by the book replace them too.

And the auto shaft is still for sale... :)