Sign in to follow this  
murrayafc

Breakdown

Hello

So today my 525 e39 2003 sh*t itself, Battery light came on and power steering died. Pulled over and checked and the belts are off and there is something sitting at the bottom of the engine. Idler pulley maybe?

Never overheated as I had only started my journey and managed to pull over pretty quick. its been making weird noises lately so my fault i know for not maintaining but just never have the time.

So I phoned various places, botany motor worx included and they are all flat out until next week.

The car is sitting in panmure just now and I plan to revisit tomorrow to properly take a look/fix, couldn't today as work got in the way. I'm a good enough home mechanic so will attempt the repairs myself.

So i suspect a new serpentine belt and idler pulley, if this is the case where can I get these parts from on a Saturday?, did a trade me search and found them but there all either shipping from Australia or no pickup is allowed. I google searched but cant find anywhere where i can just go in and get these off the shelf. Its Times like these I wish I was back in Scotland as getting parts is so easy but the weather is sh*t so new Zealand wins there.

Any advise will be much appreciated just now.

Cheers

Is the viscous fan still intact?

Occasionally these explode and take other things with them.

I have a new-in-box pulley (#11 28 1 748 131) available in Ellerslie if that's what you need?

If it will help you can have it as long as you replace it.

Edit: and look at that, I also have two new belts:

11 28 1 437 449

11 28 7 636 379

Edited by M3AN

Yip the fan looks in tact, will know more when I get back to it tomorrow. That's great M3AN thanks I will give you a call once I know what I'm dealing with and know exactly what I need.

Up and running again thanks to a new belt from Dave and a new idler pulley from the dealer. My one was totally destroyed, both belts were intact suprisingly enough and no other damage so got away lightly I think.

cheers for the advise and help.

craig.

• Like 1