Sign in to follow this  
KiwiTT

Got a new spare key from BMW

I bought a new spare key from BMW.  All I can do with it is open the car and start it.

When I try to use the iDrive, I can't see any details.  However, my standard key works normally.  What gives ?

Edited by KiwiTT

Do you mean stereo presets, saved locations etc.? If so they are paired with the key, the idea being that two different drivers can have their preferences saved (incl seat and mirror positions). If not you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Edited by jonoe30

No ... I actually can not see anything with the iDrive ... all the options are blank ... cant even see how to select the language

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Edited by KiwiTT

Import or NZ new?

Import - my other key is fine!

Edited by KiwiTT

Could have been the way the vehicle was coded to NZ. Either way, prob best talking to the dealer you got the key from. 

My e92 just stared doing that as well and both my keys no longer work as remotes but will start the car.

When I bought a new key for my e39, I had to "pair" it to the car with a button sequence etc.  Talk to dealer..

Richard re the I drive make sure your battery is charged mine got a bit low and the funny I drive thing started, but after I charged the battery it stopped.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:13 PM, Herbmiester said:

Has anyone paired an e90/92 key?

With the vehicle? Unless it has comfort access you don't need to. Plug it into the dash and the remote locking will work. 

You'll need to get the key enabled so that those functions will work. Each key will have a number associated with it so take all your keys and car to the dealer and get them to add the new one and delete any old ones. 

• Like 1

taking it to the dealer early next year