Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

Anyone have a car this colour

Very rare colour, most unlikely they will have anything in Dunedin.

Nice car, shame it's an import through what looks to be a private person - check to see if they are a LMVD otherwise you have very little recourse to them if there are any issues.

Apart from the 2 year international warranty?

First recourse is always to the seller of the vehicle, second is then to the importer (in this case that is not BMW NZ).

Consumer Gurantees Act also refers back to the seller and importer of the goods.

Lots of faults and issues are not covered by warranty, plus the 2 year warranty kicks off from date of first registration of the vehicle, so the clock has already been ticking for quite a while. If you buy from any company / LMVD rather than some random Joe on TradeMe you have much better chance of getting something done if there is an issue as they will be looking to preserve their name and good-will.

So a BMW international warranty is worthless? Because there are lots of things it doesn't cover?

If a car is under warranty, why would you have first recourse with an issue to the seller?

Are you saying I buy a NZ new BMW and then decide to sell it whilst still under warranty, the new owners recourse is through me for any issues arising with the car that should be covered under warranty anyway? I don't think so.

The BMW International Warranty as you call it works very differently for an imported car as opposed to an NZ new BMW, and the process to claim against said warranty is also different, but that is only a small part of it.

As for what it doesn't cover I'll give you an example... so you buy this car, collect it from the seller, drive home.

Next day you notice - scratches in the paintwork, kerbing on one of the wheels, the removable tow hook is missing from the boot and a small tear in the rear seat leather. As a buyer of a car advertised as "brand new" I would have a few issues with this and look for them to be corrected. How would you proceed..

Do you 1) Contact the guy you bought it off, 2) A BMW dealership 3) BMW New Zealand..

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

That's fine, but that could be true of any car, it's called doing your due diligence or checks before buying. 

if you checked the car and didn't identify those faults, I doubt you'd get far with a dealer bringing it back either.

With less than 1000kms on it, I wouldn't expect any faults.

That's why there are laws and processes in place for the sale of motor vehicles by dealers, to give you better consumer rights. If you buy from some random guy outside of those regulations then it's down to you. The complaints tribunal would find in the consumer's favour on all of those faults, especially for a car costing that much, and listed as a brand new car.

If someone sells a car as "brand new" then I expect it to be exactly that.

Hmmm quite a discussion on buying a used car....lol........all I want is to see this colour in person as I may want to have a car (non BMW) painted this colour.

Edited by Kiwi_BMW

Make sure you get the paint from an approved reseller in case it doesn't meet your expectations.

Certified and BMW approved paint systems is a whole other discussion.