Sign in to follow this  
ipwnyou

Few questions

Will the 5 speed manual gearbox off my 89 316 fit onto an older 323 engine that currently has a manual 4 speed box on it? And what would you expect to pay for a good 323 engine with a 4 speed box attached?

Also, what would be the advantages / disadvanges of running a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed? And what would be a good diff ratio for a 4 speed if I were to use that box?

Also, I have come across what this person has described as a "short block" 2.7 engine that is currently sitting in a 525 with an auto box attached - worth grabbing?

Thanks guys

Hey Gareth

4 cylinder manuals dont bolt onto 6 cylinder engines. If your keen on all the bits for a 2.7 conversion I believe Royz sells them for $1700 or something but dont quote me on that price give him a call.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

And a 323 will cost you upwards of $600 or 700 or more going by what I have seen on trademe - there are always bargains around of course so someone will prob tell you I'm barking up the wrong tree but realistically joe schmoe will pay that much and its about market.

go the 5 spd - way better in my opinion. diff ration would depend of the ratio of the top gear in the box and how you want it to perform.

Andy: Thought so. I'll have to spot a 5 speed somewhere then. Also, these people tell me that the 2.7 is complete - running and just sitting in a 525. Dunno. I think the 323 would be a better idea.

bravo: Ahh sweet, so $450 for the box + engine would be a steal, great. I'll grab it then, reguardless of weather I'll aucutally use it. They offered me an upgrade on the fuel injectors and some custome headers too, so hopefully that'll boost it a bit.

Another question: Is it hard to switch out a gearbox on these things once installed? I.e. I could run with the 4 speed until I can afford a 5 (as they are quite expensive!) and swap it out easily? I assume the diff would definately have to be changed with the gearbox, though.

Ahh decitions decitions. Must get rid of 1.6!

Edited by ipwnyou

Yeah, just went and looked more closely at the engine, its a '79 323 from an E21 - so it looks like a no-go on that :(

Bugger!

Probably just as well , the e21 M20's had a habbit of cracking heads if abused.

the 2.7 in the 5 will be the eta engine...120hp and torque, revving to 4500. get a 325 engine and box....cant be that hard to find and saves a lotta hassle. ideally find a wrecked one or a cheap shitter one so you have all the bits..will work out cheaper

Yeah, been looking at the 325 engine & box but they're pretty expensive by themselves, think i'll just buy another car.

Edited by ipwnyou

Guest Andrew

Yeah, been looking at the 325 engine & box but they're pretty expensive by themselves, think i'll just buy another car.

I will buy your 316

What could you possibly want the 316 for? Engine is no good, manul only fits 316 318 engine....its 4 door...has weights for wheels...heh...

I was thinking of aucutally buying another car on top of the 316. Kinda like what Gus is selling.

Edited by ipwnyou

Guest Andrew

What could you possibly want the 316 for? Engine is no good, manul only fits 316 318 engine....its 4 door...has weights for wheels...heh...

I was thinking of aucutally buying another car on top of the 316. Kinda like what Gus is selling.

I need a daily driver -

Around 3g

You keep the wheels for that money.

trade/cash flying everywhere!!!

gimme a yell gareth...if ya keen