Sign in to follow this  
Gus

2.8/2.9 + 3.0/3.2 Metric Mechanic article

Another mint MM article. :thumb:

The head weaknesses are interesting to note, good find Gus :thumb:

Guest Spargo

Hmmm, my crank is worthless to me if I wanted to go bigger... Wonder if they could build you a low comp version of the 3.2 rallye...*looks longingly at Glenn's Holset*

Interesting article.

Fooken expensive though, the "budget" 205hp version costs more than it did to get my car on the road (the first time that is).

OT.

Sam, Drop me a PM re the turbo, I'm sure we can work something out.

it is rather pricey....i imagine you could do an S50 over in the states for that cash....you kinda ask yourself what the point is? race series with restrictions on engine type? and turbo...ah well crazy yanks

a turbo idea i had now that glenn has a holset is that of using my 2.7 crank and block and low compy pistons, and a 325i head. pretty low comp, but super badass

it is rather pricey....i imagine you could do an S50 over in the states for that cash....you kinda ask yourself what the point is? race series with restrictions on engine type? and turbo...ah well crazy yanks

a turbo idea i had now that glenn has a holset is that of using my 2.7 crank and block and low compy pistons, and a 325i head. pretty low comp, but super badass

O'yeah, low comp is all good, means lots of ignition timing & BOOOOOOST.

Guest Spargo

What would it mean on a high comp 2.7 (10.0:1 or so) Glenn? How could you keep detonation away?

OT: Still can't pm, will talk when it finally works

run low boost - like 6 or 7 lb. Should still go pretty alright I reckon - but since I haven't tried it on any BMW engine its all speculation...

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

What would it mean on a high comp 2.7 (10.0:1 or so) Glenn? How could you keep detonation away?

OT: Still can't pm, will talk when it finally works

Less boost, but would spool up quicker.

Less ignition advance to prevent detonation.

Also a decent intercooler & water/methanol injection would be good.

Knowing M20's the Head gasket would let go before anything else!!

Just have a set of low comp. pistons ready for when the HG blows and chuck them in with a MHG and good bolts and boost away. Might as well give the combustion chamber a clean up while you are there!!

I have just glanced through it but a very good article, I will read it properly later. Did you know that a Euro M3 crank pretty much drops straight into an M20 block, bearing sizes all the same, same bore spacing etc. Which means that there is a fair chance an E36 crank out of say a 328i will probably fit too. Only really an advantage if you HAVE to run the M20 engine, as it will cost more to build one of these than to go and buy an M50/52 or S50 engine.

Guest Spargo

Block needs a bit of work though Conrad... 2.8L crank for "square" M20's. If you're going 2.8L route though, may as well get a Z3 alu block, and drop a 3.2L crank into it for a 3.1L atmo monster.

Fine if you want to go to an M52 conversion, I was just referring to capacity stretches for the M20 though. And if I was going to use a regular production engine (ie non "S" 6 cylinder) I would go the M54 - alloy block, 3.0 litres and 240 horses from the start, can't be bad!