Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Forum Face Lift #1

Guest Andrew

Since you voted him in before - you have the same power to do the reverse. If you select the "I should be" option - let us know who you are for consideration.

Edited by *sic

Im never shy to discuss this issue ;)

The thing for me is that if Damian followed his 'own' rules Im sure he would be a half decent mod. But often he jumps on someone for whatever rule they've breached and then a couple of days later he's doing it himself.

It wouldnt surprise me if 95 percent of his posts were just worthless drivel but there are always one or two that show he knows his way around cars and audio installs.

Editing other peoples posts when he gets into a scrap is just childish and I doubt it does him any favours in peoples opinions.

If he wants to keep getting into those scraps then become a pleb like the rest of us a. without the post editing abilities of a mod and b. under the sensure of the mods.

Perhaps Im getting old but after all its only my opinion.

Edited by martyyn

Guest Andrew

Well - what do you want done then.

I'm not particularly fussed. I just don't want to babysit the website everyday for stupid drama. I mean seriously - the information on here is still the same. Its nice to have an amount of humor to it. Every serious technical question still gets answered.

It almost sounds like you don't want a non-technical side to the forum. Which is fine - I will never remove these sections though - they are the majority of hits for the website!

Guest Andrew

And moving arguments from the locked thread in here to save double posting:

Emma:

You ALL need to grow up.

(With exceptions, You know who you are)

Coming from a 15 year old... Jaysus....

Grow some fu(king balls or something. I'm really sick of all the immaturity on Bimmersport, It defeats the purpose of a BMW Enthusiasts forum. Its just a retard hang out now (With exceptions, You know who you are)

Its basically ruining it for all of us, "Oh but Its only the interwebs" you say?

Yeah well we organise meets etc on "teh interwebs" and asking legit questions about BMW's we don't need RETARDS RUINING the whole god damned forum for EVERYONE.

Yeah I'm all for a joke,ask any of my mates, but sometimes people just don't know where to draw the line, and its getting rather annoying.

I'm out, until I hear that things are improved, its really not worth posting around here. Maybe even out for good.

E30Stz:

I believe Emma's right to some extent.

I would like to see some sort of authority shown where you cannot pisstake outside of the offtopic forum, too many new members are getting put off by what we might consider funny yet inappropriate comments, remember hte whole 'each to their own'. More constructive comments appreciated.

Someone tell me how posts like this came to be appropriate and what prospective members are thinking when they see a comment 'cool that info is like anal sex between 2 guys.' by sic. You are a moderator, you dont own a BMW you own 2 honda's, your posts are never really constructive and only serve one purpose to provoke people that take the interweb 2 seriously. Sure its fun sometimes, but its just not proper conduct from someone with your responsibility.

Just think the only reason this thread was made because you took the piss outa someone elses and their ride. Some people take the interweb more seriously than they should yes but thats no the point, you shouldnt be taking advantage of that. Have some respect from the start, each to there own they're all people and deserve a chance, that or ctrl-w your arse outa here before having a go at them for there car, hell you drive a honda buddy, yet it only gets the piss taken out of it when you take swipes at other peoples cars.

Sakdbma might seem like a immature bogan at times ie. when people were pwning his schnitzer thread, but he made a good point in his rant thread going on about how this place was not like it used to be when he first came here is totally correct. This place is no longer a place where people feel comfortable discussing BMW's.

Cool beans! its all good to joke around but sometimes its taken to far around here, keep it off topic or not a tall. In the end I dont really care that much, it is the interweb, but I say this because this is the only BMW forum in the country and probably the largest European forum in the country, why can people be made to feel welcome in this environment. Should set some sort of standard, a high one at that.

I just believe that if Bimmersport is looking towards becoming an official club organisation in the future, you'd want some action be taken in the mean time to revive the reputation and respect for this forum. I just see alot of new and prospective members being put off right now.

"I used to tell all BMW owners that I know this site and some have joined - some have come away with good info. Not anymore"

- This is exactly what I feel and what other members I've talked to have felt. They used to point other Bimmer owners to bimmersport but not anymore.

850 odd members, many of which havent posted once. One member that doesnt even have a BMW,3500 posts. Priceless. Sic even though 'that info is like anal sex between 2 guys' it still doesnt hide the fact you need to grow up a bit buddy.

...Waits for the flaming to start.

Churz au bo

Andy

318is

E30STZ is on the button.

I can't comprehend why Andrew lets this happen to his site. His own hard earn'd cash and vision is undone by his appointed moderator/s - and that looks shocking for BS.

Think of it this way - you contract your service out to your customers, but the customers are unhappy with the quality and service, but the contractors hide under your business name -- which you take all the flack for in the end. You loose - contractors walk away with no care, no responsability.

I used to tell all BMW owners that I know this site and some have joined - some have come away with good info. Not anymore - for me it's more or less a search function for BMW past problems.

Meh - just one member having a bleet eh.... not.

Dnz:

Then again he has no customers as he isnt selling anything, and the moderators arent contractors coz theyre his friends.

In case you havent figured it out, he does pretty much whatever he wants.

E30Stz:

I just believe that if Bimmersport is looking towards becoming an official club organisation in the future, you'd want some action be taken in the mean time to revive the reputation and respect for this forum. I just see alot of new and prospective members being put off right now.

"I used to tell all BMW owners that I know this site and some have joined - some have come away with good info. Not anymore"

- This is exactly what I feel and what other members I've talked to have felt. They used to point other Bimmer owners to bimmersport but not anymore.

Cheers

Andy

conrod:

Just to throw my 0.02c in, I think E30stz is right on the money with his comments, a reasonable standard of conduct should be maintained, there are a lot of very good threads on this board, unfortunately it is being let down big time by the large number of immature ones that seem to go uncontrolled, and this is the overriding impression people visiting this forum will go away with. thumbsdown.gif

conrod

Martyyn:

Hmmmmm a pathetic count of 29 votes of which 16 where positive, 13 negative and where the thread (although very funny) turned into a complete joke.

Hardly conclusive was it.

But BS members only have themselves to blame.....you had the chance to vote and for whatever reason you chose not to. Perhaps what it really shows is that people just dont give a sh!t about this place anymore.

Like several others Ive stopped recommending this place as a source of information. Ive just become embarrased by whats posted on here now.

Its something Ive noticed for a few months, there just arent any decent threads on here anymore. Too many people trying to score points over each other.

Has everyone got their BMW's running so well that they dont need any help? Are people too scared to ask questions ? Are we getting new members still ? We must be because the number keeps going up. Is Bimmersport becoming a victim of its own success ?

As more people join, its innevitable that there will be more idiots amongst us and as the arguements come up the more serious and possibly, techincal 'savvy' people, stop posting or just leave.

Its a real shame, I still love coming onto BS (and still do so several times a day) but the reality is that I probably skip at least 60% of the threads now as they are just bollox.

Guest Andrew

Some initial changes I am making now

Have removed all the so called questionable threads

General Discussion

Off Topic

Rides

Videos & Sounds

Sponsors & Group Buys

Are now member only forums (as in when you are logged out you can't see them) This will stop the people who you recommend the site to seeing anything but technical information - and if they want to - they can join.

If your going to vote for sic, give some justification, right now I cant see why he should be, as his affiliation with this forum is umm... err..... im not quite sure what it is without owning a bmw.

Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

The other thing I am willing to do (even though this isn't a democracy) is let you vote in your own moderators. I will however pick the selection of people (based on who i think is suitable and who is online the most).

me..and you know it!

good times. good times.

this seems to happen after stunnas come on and i say what most of you are all thinking but dont want to say it.... then the "but but but you own a honda" comments come flying and its all on.. then andy makes MASSIVE changes to the forum.. everyone wants it back to how it was, then it chills out again till the next stunna comes on board...

i like how im the only mod getting voted for at the mo tho its a nice touch...

Well - what do you want done then.

I'm not particularly fussed. I just don't want to babysit the website everyday for stupid drama. I mean seriously - the information on here is still the same. Its nice to have an amount of humor to it. Every serious technical question still gets answered.

It almost sounds like you don't want a non-technical side to the forum. Which is fine - I will never remove these sections though - they are the majority of hits for the website!

No Im not saying that at all. Funny and off topic is one thing, offensive obuse is another.

I would hate BS to be a purely techincal forum because that would just be dull, but the snipping at each other, the abuse and the 'keep it on-topic' rule breaches became tedious a long time ago.

I wouldnt want you to babysit the site either, but as it stands Damian can do what he likes, to who he likes, with no recrimination.

I dont hold him solely responsible for the current state, but I expect more from a mod.

People were given the chance to discuss this last time and the thread disintegrated into a farce. If people arent willing to stand up for themselves this time then they only have themselves to blame and IMO BS will be all the poorer for it.

I am more than willing to discuss this, as should others, but ultimately Andrew, it is your site and you can do as you wish and I will abide by it. But whilst Im here and feel that I have an interest in the site, Im going to voice my opinion.

As always with email/posts though, we need to ensure we know what the other is saying before we jump to conclusions. Im more aware than anyone that my posts may not explain what Im trying to say :blink:

This is a difficult one.

I think BS is a victim of its own success and the fact that more and more BMWs become affordable.

Why do you own a BMW?Whatever you say there is some innate snob value.

I try to justify the purchase of mine by saying that if you want to buy a mid sized manual rwd sedan what else is there?

But its also cos its a bmw.

When we see other BMWs that dont conform to our vision of a bmw we get upset.

Hence the number of threads dissing others cars?

I dont know i cant express it any better.....

The same sort of discussion is occuring at my e 34 site

If required i will be a mod

I dont want Sic to be a Mod

If the intent that BS becomes the official BMWCC site I dont think it will ever happen

It would be good to have some CC forum though.Would it be possible Andrew to have a login system for cc members related to their status as a car club member

I am not sugesting you set this up ,just a question?

Guest Andrew

I am willing to discuss it also -

But people should step up and make suggestions and then do something about it.

Paul: Interesting points - yes I could do something along the lines of that. But as you know there is a distinct line between BMWCC and Bimmersport. We all know the reason why also - BMW cannot be seen to be affiliated with an unmoderated medium.

I could put a forum on the bmwclub.org.nz (as you can see the marketplace is the same as the bimmersport forum software) - but it would be nothing like this and you'd have to make a submission to the committee.

But people should step up and make suggestions and then do something about it.

I couldnt agree more.

On this situation as it stands Ive added my suggestion elsewhere but it may well have already been lost.

If Damian is to stay a mod then he needs to act like one. If he wants to stay acting the fool then he should not be a mod and should be censured just like anyone else would be.

So I don't waste my vote, how does this work?

The only option I have is Vote or View Results, I have nothing to actually vote for.

However, for the record, I am in firm favour of *sic remaining on as a moderator.

Cheers

Grant

this seems to happen after stunnas come on and i say what most of you are all thinking but dont want to say it....

There is probably a good reason why people don't come out and say what they might think when one of these "stunnas" puts a post on the board. I try to treat discussions on a forum in the same way I would if the person were standing in front on me, I might think he/she is a complete idiot, and the question or statement is utterly stupid, but I would always refrain from lowering myself to the same level and name calling/ abusing/offending that person. If that person were standing in front of you and you dished out that same rhetoric, then you will at the very least hurt their feelings, and have them never return, or probably get a punch in the nose! I think an old cliche applies quite nicely here- "If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing" And another point which someone made earlier, as the membership of the site grows, sure you are going to get a few "stunnas" that perhaps are not playing with a full deck. It is a good reflection of the integrity and character of all of us in the way we treat them. :jap: Edited by conrod

However, for the record, I am in firm favour of *sic remaining on as a moderator.

Cheers

Grant

shot grant, glad to see you have a humour side.. + you have met me to so i suppose you get a real view of me also...

anyways..

vote for me :D

"im not a crook"

Just to clarify Gunit - vote for Damian in the other poll.

Cheers, and done.

There's no choice up top for me to click on, either.

However, my perspective is that this is primarily a younger person's forum and to be honest there's much you talk about which I find neither interesting nor relevant. There are also subects which I do enjoy, so I stick around. I learn things of personal value to me here.

In my first month, I was offended by *sic's comments on a daily basis, but instead of getting my tits in a tangle, I waited until I felt I better understood his point of view. Then and now, I reply to his posts when I wish with a hefty dose of humour and try to treat him as he would me. In this way I have come to accept him as he is and no longer have any problem with his posts.

Yes, its a BMW forum and yes, *sic seems to extract the urine from BMWs daily, but that doesn't worry me. What does worry me is that I was chastised when I tried to post about my perception of Hondas. It has to work both ways or not at all.

As an old fart, my vote is meaningless to you anyway.

FWIW, I'm an admin and a moderator at a few other boards and find there's bugger all need for intervention anyway.

No Im not saying that at all. Funny and off topic is one thing, offensive obuse is another.

I would hate BS to be a purely techincal forum because that would just be dull, but the snipping at each other, the abuse and the 'keep it on-topic' rule breaches became tedious a long time ago.

RIGHT HERE PEOPLE ARE WORDS OF WISDOM. thank you Martyyn

finally someone has been able to sum it up. i'm voting for sic because he puts alot of work into the forum, however i am sic (pardon the pun) of the level of immaturity of some of the bickering that he starts and tirelessly antagonises until we end up with serious complaints.

sarcasm is the lowest form of humor and it is especially hard (for stunnas in particular) to pick up on it in written form.

Edited by OLLIE

i'm voting for sic because he puts alot of work into the forum,hard (for stunnas in particular) to pick up on it in written form.

it is only once a year....

vote for me :D

Posted Image

I guess I'll put a youth's point of view on this matter as well.

Moderators are like your boss/es at work, DP AP and Principals at school, Captains of sports teams, Head girl and/or boy at school etc.

You are meant to set an example for other members to follow, and to weed out all the crap on the forum. As with a sports team etc the other people look up to you and follow your example. I know I look up to the Captain and 7th formers in my Cricket team.

Damian,

You are a funny guy, but you are in a position of responsibility and leadership, which neither of those qualities you seem to show on "teh interwebs".

But before you start thinking "f**k you Emma" :

Yes its great to have humour and I'm all for it (If you knew me in "real" life you'd know I'm usually the one that starts that kind of stuff) BUT you still need to show some sort of maturity as well.

So I'm sorry Damian, this is the second time we have criticised your moderating abilities, and I'm going with NO.

Emma.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Andrew

I think we need to shine up Bimmersport, and get back the BMW Enthusiasts reputation so we all have something to feel proud of, so we can start telling more people about Bimmersport and therefore have a bigger fan base.

What happened to the regional/city reps etc? I'll try and find the thread and explain to you what I'm talking about. I think thats a good idea, because I am definitely willing to put in some time effort and even expenses into a fanbase here in Dunedin.

Voting prompts not working for me either, but I'd basically support anyone except *sic (well maybe a few others).

We went through this again not so long ago, and at that time there seemed to be a vote in favour of *sic getting his "stick" back. Well not a week went by after that and he was up to the same games... abusing fellow posters, editing other's posts, locking threads for little reason.

I'd put my own hand up, but I think Martyyn would do a better job.

Guest Andrew

Other thread deleted as it was confusing people:

here is my list

Objections?

Grant

Glenn

Mike (shadow)

Martyyn

Carl

Emma

Andy (e30 stz)

and either Dave,Gus or Damian

Damian most likely will remain mod of the rides section.

Naturally i am still the main mod - but i won't moderate stuff.