Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

335i dyno run

This is my dyno run that happened on friday arvo.

135kw or 175hp at wheels.

375nm or 270 foot pounds.

rolling road dyno and did A/F plot(blue line)

the run was done in 3rd gear. the guy had trouble preventing the gearbox from kicking down and holding it, in that gear.

post-5-1140921930.jpg

Edited by bumpstop325

That sounds about spot-on for a standard 3.5 litre (I assume it is?) Should go nicely. :thumb:

Pics please!!!!! I have always been a fan of this conversion, really good bang for your buck I reckon, and plenty of scope for future upgrades as well. :thumb:

thats not bad , std e28 spec is 218hp at fly wheel and 310Nm . for the 10:1cr or 211hp and 305Nm for std e34 9:1cr

Torque seems too high.

Is that corrected properly for the gear & diff ratio used??

At 100%VE it can not put out more than 350Nm, the newer BMW's put out just over their engine size in torque due to the Variable Valve timing & lift, let alone a SOHC M30.

is the blue line the A/F ratio like other dynos? why is it all over the place? because of the automagic?

Is it just me,or is that a REAL flat torque curve.

Nice work.

Is it just me,or is that a REAL flat torque curve.

Nice work.

similar to m20

Posted Image

All of those graph's show "torque at the wheels", this hasn't taken into account the gear/diff ratio/tyre slippage (if a rolling road) and if an auto the time the torque converter isn't locked up.

For example my dyno plot shows a peak torque reading of 1348Nm.

This was done in 4th (1:1) with a 3.46:1 diff ratio, so the actual engine torque is:

1348/3.46=~389Nm

Then you can start arguing about drivetrain losses etc... till the cow's come home.

asking the dyno guy at mine, he said there is no way of working it out properly. i imagine there is, he just being lazy....but was more showing for the curve comparison

One thing i dont get is that an old member on here (EVLM3 was his p plate, dunno bout his screen name) his car was 325m engine custom headers and exhaust and bored intake was pulling 223kw on a rolling road dyno, yet this is a 3.5 litre? Lost me..... :blush:

223kW?

i know the car...something wrong with the dyno reading. would have been in the 100kW region

223??

hell no.

The car is in bits at the moment. will take pic's of the engine/gearbox when it is finshed being painted. The whole sub frame is out and i am currently sand blasting and painting the compents at the moment in hams. In my bat cave.

Its was done in 3rd gear. no 'lock in' for the convetor.

Edited by bumpstop325

for comparison purposes my m30 did 139 kw@5891rpm (which equates to 184km) hr at rear wheels(one of those kind that the dyno bolts directly to the wheel hubs )and the tourque was 275nm@4293 which is 135km hr in fourth.My car is stock except for a smaller rear muffler.Fourth is a 1 to 1 ratioMy A/f was a bit sketchy too.The revs scale stops at 6093....The readout is actually 187.4Hp SAE so i hope my conversion is right

:lol:

The reason the torque figures are so high is because thats the roller reading, the torque has been multiplied by the gearbox.

I've got a graph of my mr2 with 860nm if you wanna see it :huh: