Sign in to follow this  
B-M-W

Turbo a BMW?

ok people, i did a serch and couldn't find anything but has anybody on here done a turbo set-up on a 318i. i'm wanting to know the following as my decision for getting the car will be based on a few factors like a turbo setup. i am told an E36 318i is slow so why not bolt on a snail... if this is possible i would like to know the folllowing...

is there enough room to fit a setup in there?

How much power does a BMW block handle?

will the slushbox handle anymore power then stock?

or is it not worth it as it will cost a small fortune to replace all the parts you break?

i know i can run around 6 or 7psi through a honda motor and with a good tune it will run good but how about the BMW?

Cheers

Damian

Edited by B-M-W

If it is an M10 engine (pre-facelift) then it will handle pretty much anything you throw at it, given the correct setup, these blocks were the basis of the Formula One turbo engines. Don't bother with an M40 (facelift) engine, not a good choice. Slushbox and turbo- you are kidding right?! If you are looking at buying, then get a manual from the kickoff, cheaper in the long run, unless you are getting an auto for next to nothing.

Cheers Damian

no problems mate... :mosh:

I'm in the middle of rebuilding / reconditioning an M10 1.8 and getting ready to install a turbo. Looking at about a 90hp boost with a bolt on turbo, small intercooler and no injector modifications, running at about 10lb of boost. These engines are nuts, nice with the cam chain ;D

I know there is plenty of room under the bonnet of the E30 for it - you could probably fit a few in there aucutally. The M10 engine sits a little lower than the M40 engine (intake manifold is designed differently). Not sure about the E36 though - but who wants an E36? Turbo E36's are old news.

Turbos are so 1984 (last time I had a turbo car) :lol:

that was a good year you'll find. i was born in 84 B)

and yes perhaps it is old news but it's a good way to find an extra few Hp in a car that probably wouldn't do much more then stock with some NA bolt ons.

If you want performance you're best to go all the way...even picking the right car. BMW arent really in it for performance, unless you're willing to pay big money, or just converting the car into some jap crap turbo anyway - which defeats the purpose of the BMW.

Spend the money on upgrading your car to one with a bigger motor. As Conrad says. That motor isn't up to much.

Jazzbass, a turbo that old, had to be a Cordia. Are you a hairdresser?

ROTFLMAO @ cainchapman.

Yes it was a Cordia indeed - well done.

No, I am not, nor have I ever been, a hairdresser.

I bought the Cordia at at time when I was buying a new car every year and was on a Mitsi kick! I wanted a Starion, but it was just too dear. I later started doing the same with new Fords. These days I realise what a mug's game it was....

Edited by Jazzbass

ipwnyou, I swear your plans keep changing!

turbo it

Hah my plans always change. But i've already started on this project, so no turning back!

Next is swapping the wheels over for 5 studders and geting me some nice M3 wheels.

If its an e36 your talking about,just buy a 328.Pretty simple.

so u guys rekon an m10 engine will handle heaps? im in the middle of deciding to drop a jappo sr20det or to turbo my current 318i. which do you think would be the better option for reliability, power, ease and of course cost? any advice greatly appreciated. cheers guys.

Realistically a jap motor would be easier to do as there are many more bolt on parts / fuel management options availible for them. However it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't a challange. you also get 'bragging' rights to turboing a BMW engine and you stay true to the brand.

The choice is up to you my friend.

Guest Andrew

I'm in the middle of rebuilding / reconditioning an M10 1.8 and getting ready to install a turbo.  Looking at about a 90hp boost with a bolt on turbo, small intercooler and no injector modifications, running at about 10lb of boost.  These engines are nuts, nice with the cam chain ;D

I know there is plenty of room under the bonnet of the E30 for it - you could probably fit a few in there aucutally.  The M10 engine sits a little lower than the M40 engine (intake manifold is designed differently).  Not sure about the E36 though - but who wants an E36?  Turbo E36's are old news.

You are being pretty unrealistic - you will kill things pretty easy. It won't even be as quick as a 325!

- The m10 uses vacuum advance/retard

- The injectors/fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator aren't up to the task

- The m10 head is horrible - anybody getting power out of them has done quite a bit of head work.

Not to mention - your gearbox won't work with the M10 - and you have to go BACKWARDS in ECU technology to put the M10 in.

The only way i'd turbo an M10 is with - totally redone ignition (direct fire) a Link ECU that will do proper fuel injection/timing. An awesome turbo - run around 15 - 20 psi boost and expect 300 + hp.

In fact - look at this one

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread...?t=61092&page=1

Guest Andrew

so u guys rekon an m10 engine will handle heaps? im in the middle of deciding to drop a jappo sr20det or to turbo my current 318i. which do you think would be the better option for reliability, power, ease and of course cost? any advice greatly appreciated. cheers guys.

bear in mind it still takes a lot of money to get serious power out of a SR-20

205HP standard, put a decent exhaust and push boost to around 11-12lb - seat of the pants dyno say 215HP. Not "serious HP" but a bit better than your average e30 with 170HP max.