Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Ideas

need some ideas

for those of you who do not know, im looking for a Pre FL e30 to build into a motorsport with my bits..i really only need a decent condition 2 door shell....5psd/no options/no sunroof preferred but i really not too fussed...i have a 32o 5spd lined up, but the paint is extremely sh*t. it needs re reging (about $600) but has not been crashed. i kinda want to do a full colour change, but am reluctant to put the time/money/effort into doing that (its henna). i could try and find a better condition e30, but ill be paying more, prob wont be a decent colour anyway and who knows what else.

basically just looking for ideas....matt black maybe? painting just the engine bay and the exterior. keep em coming

definatly not matt black, satin, if any. Looks so much better.

what about that dark E36 forest green? could look cool for other bmw colours..

dakar yellow?

kashmir? - met gold

lachs?

hellrot?

or what about a ferrari red. vw united grey would look cool. could get paint code from work too.

Pleasse do it matt black! i would do it to my car but my paint is spottless so its a total waste of time/money.

do it

Pleasse do it matt black! i would do it to my car but my paint is spottless so its a total waste of time/money.

do it

meh, just following the trend really. would be so boring.

satin black is so much better as i said, basically matt with a shiny clearcoat

do it a metallic gloss black with a pearl of your choice.

black.

there is no other option.

I'm with the satin or matt black.

not really colours wise, am more looking for 'other' ideas. will see how i go looking at car (again) this arvo...will post pics if i get

13B conversion then :P

Or maybe candy apple red and sacked on some huuuuuge! deep dish polished alloys and m tech 2.

you know you wanna vtec it :D

s2000 engine & box, FTW

if you were going to bastardise it, s2000 motor would be a dream.

ps s2000 seats on trademe to match.

4g63?

EJ20?

20 valve 4AGE (tuned) to make it sorta similar s14?

for power staying with 2.5 for the mo

long term still thinking about it....turbo 2.5, high compy NA 2.8 m20's looking most likely.

more if anyone knows about any cheap pre FL shells or complete cars gimme a holla

and why s2000? has no torque...would need to be turbo

the only non BMW engines i would want would be sr20 or 1jz

EJ20? seriously

i want torque. and lots of it.

Colour, who gives a F*#k, as long as it's not pink or barney purple just leave it the same colour, esp. if it's a good E30 for a good price!!!

Def. the M20 turbo if you want torque AND hp.

i want it to look good as well....and i cant stand henna! once i get hold of the car ill be free to start doing sh*t....hope tonite goes well then

but engine..yeah m20 turbo is my fav option..the only thing i dont like is possible reliability issues around track and possibly targa (no firm plans for the car yet, but i do track it) regardless...wont be turbo till after uni.

EJ20 has 350nm. if you're gonna put something in it why not something different.

4g63 is pretty similar.

220nm for the s2000, but 9000rpm!

EJ20 has 350nm. if you're gonna put something in it why not something different.

4g63 is pretty similar.

220nm for the s2000, but 9000rpm!

Out of a STi EJ20 maybe, then can you say $$$, not to mention a RWD gearbox to suit 'cause a modded 4WD won't last too long.

4G63, need to find a decent RWD gearbox & then adapt it to fit.

S2000, last one I saw for sale was $8000 with gearbox, $$$$$$$$$.

Gus, I don't see why a M20 turbo wouldn't be reliable on the track.

Get a decent HG & bolts and a Link with a good tune and it should be fine, they are only unreliable when people think they are indestructable and "turn up the boost".

If you are building the engine then go for a lower comp. ratio for a bit more reliability (or boost).

I'm more worried about the heat....would need a pretty good cooling system to be able to get rid of enough i imagine.

as for building, ill prob try get hold of a FL 2.5 (slightly lower comp, 8.8) and clean it all up, stud the head, and a slightly thicker HG. stock everything else if it needs rebuilding.

run round 10psi ish....only thing i would add would be bigger front brakes as the rest of car should be fine to support. aim for 250rwhp, with anything more a bonus.

i think its a realistic goal, but being a student not for the moment, so am gonna build a car as a nice base and have that to work from in the future. i aslo like the idea of turbo m20...been watching too many swedish vids. But cost wise, to get big power out of any engine you need to spend coin, why not on the one thats in there? (unless you want it N/a, then don't touch an m20 with a ten foot pole). But 180/190 hp is fine for a while

well thats sorted. rusty de reg pre FL....dont go well together

back to drawing board

Gus, have you seen the NA 2.8m20 build in the E30 restoration bible.

M20b25 block and head + M20b20 conrods + M52 2.8 crank.

They got 230hp without going to aftermarket injection. ( remap factory ECU, M30 AFM and throttle body) The only problem I could see would be finding a cheap 2.8 crank in NZ. In the UK the auther reckons you can pick up M52 2.8's for nothing because of the pre 98 Nikasil bore wear problems so they look at it as a "low budget option"

As for a S2000 swap, that might be tricky as I think Honda engines spin in reverse??

2.8 crank = $$ i imagine over here...not a helluva lot of m52's floating about, correct me if im wrong.

pistons?

engine build = $$$

plus there is not a helluva lot of potential after that...TBH i would consider getting custom pistons and bore it out, to make the most of you being there anyway

and it doesnt go PSH!