Sign in to follow this  
Iain

Hi guys, from across the ditch

Hi guys, I got told to check out these forums for info on 5-lug swaps on E30s by a bloke (Ray Smoodiver) on R3v Limited (home of the e-cock fight).

So yeah. Umm... I currently own an '89 E30 325i coupe that's not-so-fondly referred to as "the money pit". I've had most of the undercarriage rebuilt (steering rack, sway bar end links, et al) and its been resprayed, slapped some smoked lenses on it, bought a Breyton kit for it and am now looking to brakes/wheels.

This is where I wanna go 5-lug as I'll get more wheel options and the ability to run the 540i/850CSi brake upgrade. I've been talking to a few guys who reckon E28 parts are the go as they are basically just E30 M3 stuff but without the M-Sport pricetag (ouch, hurts just thinking about it!).

Personally, I wanna get the little red biatch handling and braking like a race car before upping the hp, though eventually I'll slap an eta crank and 10.5:1 comp pistons and some other goodies in it (Schrick cam, piggyback ECU, etc etc).

Cheers,

Iain

Guest Spargo

This man is a funny c**t, friend of Shakey too. You'll do just fine here Iain.

Ray Smoodiver = Filth

Sam in a filths clothing

R3V pwns

talk to e30-323ti, he has done the 5 lug (no doubt he will stick his nose in here shortly).

off top of head 'tis e36 compact rear end, e36 struts with e36 m3 evo control arms. no doubt he will correct any wrong i have done. allows good range of brake upgrades too. (don't think 5 series stuff fits, think more 328i/330i/M3 stuff

breyton kit? plastic/glass? pics? they have always looked good.

On the money there gusto, just forgot the offset CAB's.

And just the Compact trailing arms (preferably complete), I may have a friend in OZ (brisbane) with a pair if he hasn't sold them??

I have heard rumours of the E28 front end being used, but the only way I could see it working is with custom steering arms as the E28 ones have 2 lower balljoints of ~14mm dia as opposed to the E30's 1 ball joint of ~12mm and swapping the struts left to right.

welcome cobba.

please remove your shoes.

Haha, thanks for the welcome and the info guys. G'day to you too Ash, hope the M3 is treating you well... particularly with the young lasses down at Cottlesloe Beach... hahaha..

The Breyton kit is a high-quality fibreglass. I'll have to take some pics and post em up, cause its an AWESOME fit and the quality of the raw kit is very good. I thought at first it was crap cause I'm used to stuff like C-West, et al, but I soon realised how well it fitted and how strong-yet-malleable it was...

I need to have a look at the exact parts list, but looking at the Uber3 website has given me a good idea of whats involved in the swap. I really, REALLY do not want to cut or weld anything. Small brackets for bigger calipers doesn't faze me, but welding new suspension mounting points can be a pain in the arse with our rego requirements over here (draconian is to put it nicely).

Has anybody got any experience with Kmac adjustable strut tops? Or is there a product out there that is by far and away the best, blow-ya-wig-off-and-empty-the-nutsack beaut?

welcome cobba.

I'm an E30-owner. I'm too poor to afford shoes...

Edited by Iain

Hi guys, I got told to check out these forums for info on 5-lug swaps on E30s

hey ... welcome

if / when you do this could you post a step by step with pics? would be a bloody big help.

Haha, thanks for the welcome and the info guys. G'day to you too Ash, hope the M3 is treating you well... particularly with the young lasses down at Cottlesloe Beach... hahaha..

The Breyton kit is a high-quality fibreglass. I'll have to take some pics and post em up, cause its an AWESOME fit and the quality of the raw kit is very good. I thought at first it was crap cause I'm used to stuff like C-West, et al, but I soon realised how well it fitted and how strong-yet-malleable it was...

I need to have a look at the exact parts list, but looking at the Uber3 website has given me a good idea of whats involved in the swap. I really, REALLY do not want to cut or weld anything. Small brackets for bigger calipers doesn't faze me, but welding new suspension mounting points can be a pain in the arse with our rego requirements over here (draconian is to put it nicely).

Has anybody got any experience with Kmac adjustable strut tops? Or is there a product out there that is by far and away the best, blow-ya-wig-off-and-empty-the-nutsack beaut?

welcome cobba.

I'm an E30-owner. I'm too poor to afford shoes...

There is no need to cut or weld anything for the E36 5lug swap, it all bolts in.

You would have been looking at the E28 backend I have put in, which requires a lot of work.

Noltec do good camber plates and alot cheaper than the Kmac ones.

If you can get 2nd hand E46 328i (300x22mm disc) or 330i (325x25mm disc) calipers they are both good/cheap upgrades over the E36 (286x22mm disc), and bolt straight on.

I'll definately do a detailed step-by-step thread on the process. I want to list and photograph individual parts, part numbers, etc. One of the guys here at work knows the Noltec dudes and dudettes, so I think i'll investigate them.

With the E36 parts, would my E30 Series 1 Eibach Pro springs and Billy Sprint shocks still fit (bearing in mind mine's a late-model 51mm strut)?

I've been told there's a brake upgrade that uses 850i Brembo calipers. But if 330Ci calipers and rotors bolt on, that's even better! I won't be tracking it much, but I do drive it to work and back (1000km just doing that), plus weekend jaunts to fun driving roads/track means it'd be nice to know I've got gooooood stoppers under the guards.

I don't like the K macs...you can only adjust the camber and castor at the same time...not individually...which is the gay. check Ireland Engineering, i think they have some pretty decent strut mounts. I'm getting their 1 1/4" adjustable strut tops if they ever get round to shipping em

Guest Spargo

I've been told there's a brake upgrade that uses 850i Brembo calipers

E30 M3 suspension, it bolts up, but you need a spacer for the disc (e46 m3 item)

Not worth it, as the clearances are so tight...

Conrad, jump in on this one.

E30 M3 suspension, it bolts up, but you need a spacer for the disc (e46 m3 item)

Also works with E36 hubs, but you need ~20mm spacers with most wheels.

Well documented on Bimmerforums, due to the rarity of the calipers & spacers Req'd most don't bother, plenty of other BBK's to choose from.

Iain:

Front and rear springs work and the rear shocks.

If you want to use your front inserts you will need to convert an old pair of E36 struts to take the inserts, not really worth it unless you turn them into coilovers at the same time.

No way, might be another "Jordan" lurking in the shadows! Nothing I can add really,E30-323ti has covered it nicely. I am doing this swap on my E30 at the moment, E36 M3 front uprights, custom made struts, BIGGG brakes, M roadster rear trailing arms with more BIG brakes etc etc.

No way, might be another "Jordan" lurking in the shadows!

I want the 285-wide tyres and E46 GTR bodykit and it will be better then all of you. If you disagree I'll stab you in the neck and have sex with a manatee....

(I have a dislike from Jordan)

(I have a dislike from Jordan)

So does everyone who has visited that site!...... WTF is a manatee!?????? And why settle for puny 285's, go the whole hog, 335x25/19's yeah baby yeah!!!! Edited by conrod

I prefer city beach. That's where the volley ball teams practice..... B)

Between here there and everywhere, surely you can find the info you need for ya glamorised Go-Kart. Good knowledgeable bunch here too.

Ash

Edited by Ghost